Macro of emerging Butterfly, 5D MKII Video

Name
Amin
Edit My Images
Yes
Any tips to help improve editing/sound/music etc greatly appreciated please.
I am preparing a series of these emerging butterflies and will be shooting different species, hopefully capturing them emerging just as this one did.

[YOUTUBE]MlyJchvBX3U[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks

Amin

This is really cool, although I can't help you on the technical stuff as I've never pressed a video button on a DSLR, it just seems plain wrong!!

Look forward to seeing more - Well done (y)

This is really cool, although I can't help you on the technical stuff as I've never pressed a video button on a DSLR, it just seems plain wrong!!

Look forward to seeing more - Well done (y)

Thanks Sara, really appreciate your feedback :)

Excellent very creative, it's good and different to see something creative come out of a video in a DSLR camera (y)

Thanks Allan, appreciate it.

I have managed to capture another one which I think lighting seems better so about to edit it and replace this one.
Appreciate you viewing and commenting about it

thanks

Amin

very good. Is that poo coming out of it's rare at the end?

Hi Nathan
That's just fluid that it pumps out of its body to finally take its normal shape and stretch the wings and dry them. When they come out of the pupa stage the wings are still wet that's why it looks crumpled the way they do, and then it remains there hanging for a few hours slowly drying them up and then finally flying away.

At one time yesterday I had five of these little beauties fluttering around here in my room. They were all blue morphos

That was extremely interesting and rather fascinating to watch Thanks for doing it.

it's very good! how did you manage to shoot it?
was it in a cage or did you just place background and lighting around it?

it's very good! how did you manage to shoot it?
was it in a cage or did you just place background and lighting around it?

Thank you Patrick.
It took a lot of patience to finally grab the sequence. 48 hour of waiting and constantly keeping an eye. Missed the first one as they take just seconds to emerge.
There is a fair amount of luck involved to grab it by the way.
Tx
Amin

so this is video and not time lapse then?

Apart from a small bit of blur nr the end and might zoom back a tiny bit as it goes out of frame just near the end very good.... as for the sound I take it it is royalty free music? might lower the sound level a touch.

That was amazing... lovely butterfly too, haven't seen one of those before.

Hi Amin,

That was a great video of a fascinating subject so well done!
I also have been playing with the video function of the 5DMkII recently (shot the first one in portrait!! Doh!). Hopefully others here will be able to help you out with the settings and stuff. I don't think the internet is quite ready for full HD uploads yet! Something silly like 1GB for 1 Minute of film, take 5 days to upload!
However, as a little bit of critique, you had a very very narrow depth of field so have a look if you had set the aperture too low. Also, in HD, I think you got the conversion settings wrong as when you look at the full HD video, the output is still in 4:3 format as you have black banding at the sides. I upgraded my Quicktime to Quicktime Pro to be able to do the conversion into a useable format and then converted with Roxio/Nero Digital.
Hope that helps, can't wait to see more!
Huw

Thank you very much for all your above comments. That's really kind of you all to view and help me out with comments.

Huw, thanks for your tips. Guess what? I made the same mistake here, shooting in portrait format haha, but a good editor does the trick and you can turn the footage to landscape. I use Sony Vegas, and this was in fact my first capture of the beautiful pupa.
Subsequently I have managed to capture a second footage which seems to be of a better quality as the previous one seemed a little under exposed. I was lucky that I had an HD camera on at the same time so I have a video footage from a different angle shooting alongside with my 5D MKII so am hoping to get them edited and hopefully upload a better version of the clip.

With regard to the aperture, its way too tricky. This was the best I could get out of the situation. I was shooting already at 1/30 ss (which is the lowest it goes anyway) and the ISO was pretty high so it was a balance between having a grainy footage and a shallow DOF. I might decide to move the camera slightly further back next time but am restricted with space in my little butterfly studio I have built here. And also I was using a canon 180mm Macro lens hence the shallow DOF.

Thank you again for all your comments and tips.

Amin

I have now re-edited the clip and also changed the music,
Hope it shows slight improvement and its so true what they say, music has a huge impact in the image or video.

Any observations or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Amin

That was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes, I have shared it on my Facebook - if you would like mento remove the share please say.

It had never occurred to me people breed butterflies in their homes.

That was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes, I have shared it on my Facebook - if you would like mento remove the share please say.

It had never occurred to me people breed butterflies in their homes.

Hi Sam

thanks for your kind comment. Of course I don't mind you sharing it. Its on the Butterfly World Project, St Alban's FB website too.
And this was taken at the centre by the way :) not at home :). I wish I could breed tropical butterflies like that at home, :) but conditions have to be very special for them. These are tropical species.

Glad you enjoyed the clip. We are working on prepraing some more different species ones also and the turning of the caterpillar into a pupa also which is such a beautiful natural process.

Thanks

Amin

Last edited:
Back