Macro Stuff:- How close are you?

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
I have looked at loads of amazing macro photographs on here, but one thing that has always had me wondering is, how physically far away is the lens and camera away from the subject?

Depends on the subject really, but you can get within an inch or two of the front element.

I see pics on here using 100mm or shorter lenses and some using big or huge zooms.
I just always think, how the hell can you really get that close to dragonfly's and such without them flying away.
:help:

I have looked at loads of amazing macro photographs on here, but one thing that has always had me wondering is, how physically far away is the lens and camera away from the subject?

It depends on several things with the focal length of the lens being the main factor.

Then there comes whether it is a true macro lens like the Canon 100mm Macro lens.

Then whether it has another lens in front of it to allow it to get closer to the subject and thus get a larger image or;

Whether it has extension tubes behind the lens with the same intention - getting a larger image.

Obviously all of these interact and it also depends on the subject - if taking a static subject indoors then a lens like the Canon 50mm f1.8 can be used with a set of extension tubes and can then be around 2-3 inches from the subject to get a very large image:

Circuit Board Details-15465
by petersmart on Talk Photography
This was taken on a Canon 450D fitted with the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens and Kenko extension tubes and was about 2-3 inches away from the wasp:
And this was taken with the Canon 70-300mm L IS USM lens set at 300mm and 3 Kenko extension tubes:
That arrangement allowed me to get close ups of hoverfly at about 1 to 2 feet away and not disturb it.

As you can see there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to macro and different lenses and different distances can be used for different subjects and whether they are static or not.

But for me the most important piece of equipment is a set of automatic extension tubes which can be used with almost any lenses and can give very good results even with a modest camera and a kit lens:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/20926615@N05/sets/72157623715955928/

But even then a cheap set of close up filters from Ebay can give good results on a kit lens - NOTE: these lenses are better on smaller lenses with small filter sizes, they do NOT work well on larger lenses.

Hope this helps a bit.

I see pics on here using 100mm or shorter lenses and some using big or huge zooms.
I just always think, how the hell can you really get that close to dragonfly's and such without them flying away.

Patience is the simply answer but you would be surprised how quickly you learn how to approach the bugs. For instance if a dragon fly is knackered and lands it's hard to disturb them as they just don't care I have been with cm's of one with lens.

My mate bought some tubes for his 400mm F2.8 :eek:

Yeah to change 10 ft minimum focus to 7ft or closer lol. I do this on my 150-500 sigma for butterflies which are very hard to get close too but again if you catch the right time they tend not to be too bothered as long as you don't move the branch leaf flower it is on.

Hope the above helps you.

In the case of dragonflies and butterflies and such my 300mm zoom lens and a set of extension tubes allows me to get good close ups without actually being close enough to alarm them.

Although if an insect is engaged in doing something you can get surprisingly close.

The wasp picture was taken one evening in my flat when I found it walking across my carpet.

It seemed quite weak so I put it on a slice of apple on my windowsill and photographed it, using bounced flash, as it started to eat.

I was only a couple of inches away from it and was able to get a good set of shots before it got its strength back and started to get a bit p****d off; at that point I let it out of the window!

A weak dehydrated wasp is one thing, a p***d off one quite another.

Last edited:
There is a certain level of "field craft" that can be used with macro photography. Flies for example tend to respond (buzz off) to fast movement, so move slowly. They also respond to changes in light, so try not to let your shadow fall on them. Bugs in general are usually more lethargic early in the morning (when it's still quite cold), so time of day/year is also a factor.

As Bryn highlights, some can be too tired to bother moving off, especially if they don't consider you a threat. Remember you are so much larger than them, often they may not see you as a likely predator. Some species will even come to you and land on your hand as it is a nice warm spot to help charge themselves up. Others will land on your hand to tap into the nice supply of blood they can use as an energy source.

Over time you get to become familiar with how different species will respond, and subsequently how close you can get to them under various conditions.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the quick replies folks, looks like loads of different factors come into play then lol
I'll just keep being amazed at the macro stuff that you lot keep producing!:ty:

I've used tubes with my 200-400 :)

When Dragonflies are concerned, a long lens is definitely convenient but it's not impossible to get close to them. I had one that landed on my hand and then my camera whilst I was trying to photograph it :|

Back