Beginner Made in England

I'm afraid for me this doesn't really do much.

It's a picture of the back of someone's head with a tattoo on it. There is nothing else in the picture that tells you why 'made in England' is of any relevance, maybe if you knew the person there would be more understanding of relevance (I doubt it though) but we don't.

And from a technical point of view, the door frame and especially the handle in the background is really distracting.

I'm afraid for me this doesn't really do much.

It's a picture of the back of someone's head with a tattoo on it. There is nothing else in the picture that tells you why 'made in England' is of any relevance, maybe if you knew the person there would be more understanding of relevance (I doubt it though) but we don't.

And from a technical point of view, the door frame and especially the handle in the background is really distracting.
I see what you mean. The photo itself was for Toni because he wanted one of the tattoo. Now I can't not look at the door handle lol. I know him and even I don't understand why he got the tattoo.

Just to echo the points Ned made above but beyond that Ben, seeing as you know Toni why not do a reshoot.
I think you could make more of this with a bit of planning. To keep with the made in England theme I would find a suitable background, say somewhere in his hometown that says more about him, a sense of place if you will. Or perhaps find a background that one could easily identify with as being English, as an example say Wembley just as a for instance.

Just to echo the points Ned made above but beyond that Ben, seeing as you know Toni why not do a reshoot.
I think you could make more of this with a bit of planning. To keep with the made in England theme I would find a suitable background, say somewhere in his hometown that says more about him, a sense of place if you will. Or perhaps find a background that one could easily identify with as being English, as an example say Wembley just as a for instance.
I like that idea. I will probably try and make better use of the reflection too, not very effective in the light I had available.

I like that idea. I will probably try and make better use of the reflection too, not very effective in the light I had available.

That would work well, position Toni in front of a mirror, just offset so as the viewer can see his face as well as the back of his neck and the tattoo.
A suitable dof/lens choice to get both tattoo and face in focus?

I understand the "why" this picture exists and,
though I don't like tattoos, I think you did well.

I understand the "made in England" without
further explanation! (y)

I like the idea of the shoot but as said, another time and location and you can improve on it.
I was made in "Wimbledon" :p

I'd make a similar comment on this as I did on 'Radio Flyer', that for this kind of shot focus needs to be absolutely spot on the text, and it *appears* to be an inch or 2 in front of that judging by the subjects hair (it's more obvious on flickr at full size). Otherwise no need for an explanation. (y)

Had your subject had been in front of a mirror, I think it would have been a really nice shot.

Regards

Tim

I'd make a similar comment on this as I did on 'Radio Flyer', that for this kind of shot focus needs to be absolutely spot on the text, and it *appears* to be an inch or 2 in front of that judging by the subjects hair (it's more obvious on flickr at full size). Otherwise no need for an explanation. (y)
You're making me think my lens is off.

Had your subject had been in front of a mirror, I think it would have been a really nice shot.

Regards

Tim
Yeah, the glass in the door wasn't as reflective as I would have chosen.

View attachment 108871

your shot is ok...and the ghosting image in lhs is a good balance
the top of the head ...any more space available...perhaps not needed
the pale blue railing in bottom right could be removed...detail at edge of shot

cheers
geof...

View attachment 108871

your shot is ok...and the ghosting image in lhs is a good balance
the top of the head ...any more space available...perhaps not needed
the pale blue railing in bottom right could be removed...detail at edge of shot

cheers
geof...
The crop above the head is intentional to prevent the line of the door frame coming out of his head and there were some awful blue highlights coming through his hair. The cloning out of the door handle, I would do if I was any good at cloning.
I think you've done something to the colour that makes his skin look jaundice in the edit though.

The crop above the head is intentional to prevent the line of the door frame coming out of his head and there were some awful blue highlights coming through his hair. The cloning out of the door handle, I would do if I was any good at cloning.
I think you've done something to the colour that makes his skin look jaundice in the edit though.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4441/35835979923_5b9794a7b9_b.jpg

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/attachments/toot-jpg.108871/

i wasnt aware of any skin tone efforts but i did give the whole shot a sweep of dodge...sorry
hope he recovers
doctor toad is now dismissed
cheers...and thanks
geof

Last edited:
Back