Maid of Wyven

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
One of the most interesting places for me in the City of Bristol is the Underfall Yard. Near the Cumberland Basin the yard is used by boat-builders and is the site of a dry dock for larger vessels.
It often presents opportunities for colourful reflections from the brightly painted boats and their masts.
On Saturday night, 6th May an arsonist burnt down the workshops!
Allegedly the arsonist had been in prison several times for arson in various parts of the country and was employed by the boatyard.
The sad thing is that the character of the yard is now sure to be lost forever as undoubtedly there will be some modernisation.
In addition to the workshops the fire spread to a boat called the 'Maid of Wyven', which was berthed alongside several other vessels outside of the workshops.
It was stated that the owner, who regularly stayed on the vessel, had taken a few days away ... a decision that may have saved his life!
To avoid further spread to the other vessels, the Fire Service towed the 'Maid of Wyven' away from the yard, where it sank.
Today Police divers surveyed the 'wreck' in preparation to lifting it from the water for possible repair.

The 'Maid of Wyven' in dock.

Maid in dock by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Its resting place.

Maid of Wyven by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Burnt out workshops.

Burnt Out by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Fire damage by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Underwater Search Team

Police Underwater Search Team by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Mask on.

Mask On by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Inspection.

Inspection by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Type of new work carried out at the yard.

Mad Ray by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Last edited:
What a tragic story. I hope it can all be rebuilt and restored well.
Well taken images for the story.

The two burnt out building images have a real look of the 60s or 70s about them.
They were amazing places, real dusty old workshops. :)
What a tragic story. I hope it can all be rebuilt and restored well.
Well taken images for the story.
I certainly hope for a sympathetic restoration but fear it won't be. :(

Back