Malaysian Open..............Golf

What a super set there, really great timing on them all, really like the second image.

Great stuff. Particularly like the last one. Ball and tee in flight and great facial expression. Eye on the ball right to the strike.

I take it this is on a practice day/round ?
No Mike,
These were shot on the Saturday.................I drove up there on the Sunday to get the final day action and after setting up on the 3rd hole and switching on the camera I realised that I had left the camera battery at home (wally) so instead of shooting the last round I went home and went and had a boozy lunchtime session and watched the golf on the telly at the pub

OK - just very surprised at a couple of things....

1) The lack of crowds of spectators in the background

2) That were able to use a camera on a tournament day (assume you were shooting with your nikon dslr) and firing the shutter just before or on the ball strike (especially image 2). Generally regarded as a no-no even for pro golf photographers with accreditation.

OK - just very surprised at a couple of things....

1) The lack of crowds of spectators in the background

2) That were able to use a camera on a tournament day (assume you were shooting with your nikon dslr) and firing the shutter just before or on the ball strike (especially image 2). Generally regarded as a no-no even for pro golf photographers with accreditation.
Mike
1/. All the crowds were following Westwood and not that many following the outer guys
2/. I was given a media pass to shoot the tournament from the golf club as I am friends with the GM there
3/. I was stood far enough back where they (the golfers) could not hear the D4s (AK9) shutter slap (I tested it with one of the marshals on the course)
4/. I am not a professional photographer and no desire to be one...........its all for fun

Thanks for the additional info.

I didn't watch it on TV so hadn't appreciated the lack of crowds. My only experience is the British Open and Ryder Cup and by Saturday the place is usually rammed at least tees and greens no matter who is playing the hole.

As for the media pass congrats on getting one from the GM. However with that around your neck you effectively represent or will be considered to be working media - at least for the day - and your actions attributed to pros - whether you are just there for fun or not. I'd suggest that it was fortunate that Tiger wasn't around - he is well known for going off one one even if he thinks he heard a shutter during the first part of his swing - Marshalls approval or not. Your actions *might* have had a direct impact on the other photographers working the course - who were relying on it to pay their mortgages.

If you are going to do this again it might be worth a read up around the normal etiquette...sportsshooter.com has a wealth of it.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=29388

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=25549

Mike,
I am sorry mate but in this case you are totally wrong and way way OTT with your reply. Like I said before the golfers could not hear me and if they made a concerted effort to see me then and only then they would have seen me as I was dressed as though I was going into battle (birding).
All the photographers were as I said before following Westwood along with the crowds and not relying on me not being there to pay there mortgage. For christ sake I was just out shooting a bunch of golfers...........lighten up a bit.

Nice set. No2 for me, it shows Westy's eye on the ball right through impact.

Nice set. No2 for me, it shows Westy's eye on the ball right through impact.
Westie is awesome. He is so so good and acts just like a regular guy...... And never bitched once at me taking his picture as he didn't know I was taking it

Mike,
I am sorry mate but in this case you are totally wrong and way way OTT with your reply.

Actually I have been pretty polite, helpful and informative. Believe me if you had done that in the UK at a major or the Ryder Cup the pro's around you would have been a lot less delicate in their responses and you would almost certainly have been thrown off the course by the organisers. My advice was an attempt to help should you ever be fortunate enough to be gifted another opportunity.

Like I said before the golfers could not hear me and if they made a concerted effort to see me then and only then they would have seen me as I was dressed as though I was going into battle (birding).

In cammo gear, really, FFS. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All the photographers were as I said before following Westwood along with the crowds and not relying on me not being there to pay there mortgage. For christ sake I was just out shooting a bunch of golfers...........lighten up a bit.

No you were at an Open shooting pro golfers under media accreditation. If you had wanted a bit of fun you could simply have popped down to a park course and shot some amateurs hacking it around.

My previous history of posting on your threads has been really positive - I have happily given you advice on bodies, lenses, and the issues you faced with your teleconverter. You should be taking this advice in the same vein - it's just this time it is about the pro-photographer *situation* you found yourself in and not gear related.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info.

I didn't watch it on TV so hadn't appreciated the lack of crowds. My only experience is the British Open and Ryder Cup and by Saturday the place is usually rammed at least tees and greens no matter who is playing the hole.

As for the media pass congrats on getting one from the GM. However with that around your neck you effectively represent or will be considered to be working media - at least for the day - and your actions attributed to pros - whether you are just there for fun or not. I'd suggest that it was fortunate that Tiger wasn't around - he is well known for going off one one even if he thinks he heard a shutter during the first part of his swing - Marshalls approval or not. Your actions *might* have had a direct impact on the other photographers working the course - who were relying on it to pay their mortgages.

If you are going to do this again it might be worth a read up around the normal etiquette...sportsshooter.com has a wealth of it.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=29388

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=25549

Thanks for the info Mike, would love to get into sports photography so will look at this site.

Nice set of photos there nice a crisp. I like 3 the best as you have also captured the hole info.

On the subject of releasing the shutter at the wrong time were you using continuous drive of just single? If it was continuous then 1 and 2 having been pretty close could have caused an issue with certain players but no 3 I doubt would have heard you drop your camera, it looks like you were quite far back.

Pleased your contact was able to give you a media pass great to be able to shoot these events, if you get another chance try shooting the less know players they love the attention and bunker shots normally get you a good image. Just for something different.

"meonshore" Which of the three photo's are upsetting you. I have shot many competitions including Ryder Cup
and have only had words with one player Monty. which was proven and accepted not to be my fault. So I am
interested in which shot you think would have upset the player.

Back