Critique Maldon

Well, not kicking off often helps, and 10 is a lot of images when asking for c/c.
On the first six, firstly I'm not keen on the PP. It is pushed a little far and has resulted in the images having a feeling more of paintings rather than photographs.

1. For me the boat is too far to the left and too high in the frame. I'd rather have seen less foreground grass and more mast.
2. Less foreground grass is good, but I'm still itching to see that mast and rigging in full.
3. This was your chance to show the whole of the boat. You changed to portrait but there's still half a frame of weeds & water, and mast top. :( Image needs rotating CCW too.
4. This one does nothing for me until you crop to just below the log - then it's quite a pretty scene. The OOF beach / shale adds nothing IMO.
5. Much more pleasing compositionally.
6. Again I'd much rather have seen the barge on the right in it's entirety rather than leaving the frame
7. 3 vessels in shot and not one of them fully in the frame.
8, 9 & 10....Out of these three I think the last had the most potential. If you'd have sacrificed the OOF water in the lower part of the image, you'd have caught the whole boat and still kept the reflection in the hull.

Viv1969

Thank you for your comments. I agree I probably should not have put the rant in but it did work it got a reply.

I take on board your comments about PP I will re edit and try to resist pushing things to far.

no 7. The barg was entering the rfame not leaving so i was trying to give it room to move in to. I guess it didn't work

Hi Paul, there's something about the above photo I like very much and when scrolling through your images I saw a similar scene in the second one I think, no 3842. There's so much going on, the exposure is good, the focus is beautifully sharp, good colour and the people moving towards the town adds immeasurably to an already interesting scene.

It's not quite the finished product though, a little cropping and straightening would help but a good interesting image is there, more or less.

Is this something you could develop further maybe? A coastal landscape will usually be more interesting than an isolated dinghy for instance. I don't know your circumstances etc but I would think about trying to repeat and refine this one shot perhaps. This would mean planning a composition and taking the photo at the most advantageous time, ie when the light and activity is at it's best.

Thank you. I have toned down some of the original pics. Is the pp better on those ones?

I will see if I can get over and take the same shot but with better light. I feel that as the better light arrives later in the day the people will disappear but I can give it a go. Thank you both it's given me lots to think about.

Thanks for all the very helpful feedback.:(:( I cant say how much it has helped me improve my photography........ :(

What do you have to do to get a reply round here?????
Just the way it goes in here some times buddy! Happens to me all the time, just shake it off and carry on ;)

Understand ur frustration ie feedback Paul its not too much to ask, forums can be very clicky just the way it is, happens in the bird section crap shots can get many replies from mates.
First shot foreground the oof grass for me a bit overcooked and some shots could possibly be improved compositionally, but overall a good and interesting set for me. (y)

Tonyc I Know what you mean. Can be a bit them and us. At the end of the day we all have a common interest and should be helping each other out where we can. I dont think I have the knowledge or skill to let others know what is good or bad with pictures but I will help with what little I do know.

Any way thanks to all those that have given me some pointers and I will do my best to take it in and not make the same mistakes.

Back