Male Sparrowhawk

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
This has been a long time coming.For over 2 years i have tried to get a decent photo of a Sparrowhawk, i have travelled hundreds of miles and spent many many hours hoping that i could at least get one shot off. Friends call me and tell me they have photographed one or it has turned up within minutes of me leaving to head back home.Well today i was off work so headed out about 6.30am for a few hours in the hide, boring /quiet day until this guy flew straight past. He landed in very think undergroth and i could just see his eye and at times his head. He stayed there for about 5 minutes on the ground but eventually came out and stopped on this large rock for 2 or 3 seconds only 10 metres away and i was waiting for him. I only managed 2 shots but the sense of relief now that i have photographed a Sparrowhawk is fantastic.

2 very slightly different images and i have cropped differently as well to see what crop people like the best.

I thought this was going to be my only record shot-
Inundergroth.jpg

Much better now-
240311_0212.jpg

Sparrowhawk-sharp.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like your dedication and perseverance has paid off, well done! (y)

It's a great feeling when you finally get a photo you've been trying to get for a long while isn't it? My girlfriend is like "it's only a bird, you might as well just take a photo of any bird flying around and be happy with that"....riiight!

Of the 2 I like the second, but imo the crop is slightly too close to his tail. I'd remove from the left and add to the right, and remove from the top and add to the bottom, basically moving the view left and down. As for the bush on the left, I would leave it, adds a bit of extra interest rather than being just another bird with a OOF background.

It's a great feeling when you finally get a photo you've been trying to get for a long while isn't it? My girlfriend is like "it's only a bird, you might as well just take a photo of any bird flying around and be happy with that"....riiight!

Of the 2 I like the second, but imo the crop is slightly too close to his tail. I'd remove from the left and add to the right, and remove from the top and add to the bottom, basically moving the view left and down. As for the bush on the left, I would leave it, adds a bit of extra interest rather than being just another bird with a OOF background.

I have had a look at the tail area and decided its fine as is--the tail casts a shadow which extends close to the corner of the image but the tail itself stops short enough so im going to just leave and enjoy as is...(y)

Two years........but aint it worth when you get shots like these. What next ?

congrats on your shots Marks good shots to, mine are still coming in the garden saw sparrow feathers the other day so I might get some more of them hopefully, they are a stunning bird so well done

Yeah Kaz i can still remember your shots from before--actually i think i downloaded them and told everyone they were mine...;):nuts::shrug:

lol Mark I still can t get over that rotter of a man.

Just one of these thing that are sent to try us Kaz, dont worry about it and put it behind you..(y)

Is this edited version any better than the original. Didnt spend much time on it so i know it could be better.

Crop11.jpg

the feather detail and sharpness is just stunning ! Its a great capture Mark but it has left me more than a bit disheartened . I've got such a long way to go yet ....

blimey... first off... great shot

2nd.. great cloning skills...lol i prefer the edited version.

birds of prey are so photogenic and they dont even realise it.... lol

Cracking shot Mark and I know exactly how you feel when one comes in close, well mine came in too bloody close :( It looks like you had a real contrasty situation there as well but you have kept it together really well :clap::clap: The edit is the better one (y)

I agree with all the above Mark. Well done (y)

Regards: Gordon

The edit (even if you didn't agree with the tail :) ) looks even better imo!

You should be proud - great light really makes it something special

Love the intensity in the eyes of the hawk in the first shot but no.3 is a cracker. You can nearly count the feathers.

Back