mallard

happygolucky

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I know it's boring, but i'v only just taken photography up as a hobbie and i'v only got a non IS 18-55mm kit lens.

C+C most welcome.

IMG_0027-1.JPG

No, its not that bad Andrew, nor boring. Mallards are colourful birds and make some good images. I would make two comments, first you have blown the whites a bit, and the picture could do with lightening up. You could pull this back in PP to make an improvement. Its a good start so keep trying and posting up, welcome to TP too (y)

No, its not that bad Andrew, nor boring. Mallards are colourful birds and make some good images. I would make two comments, first you have blown the whites a bit, and the picture could do with lightening up. You could pull this back in PP to make an improvement. Its a good start so keep trying and posting up, welcome to TP too (y)

thank you, without critique i can't improve, appreciated (y)

Cheers Andrew. Hope you dont mind, I just had a very quick play with your picture. if you want this removed, please say so, its no problem. I am limited with with what I can do especially with the whites, but I hope you approve.

5497912678_3eb08b6d38_b.jpg

Cheers Andrew. Hope you dont mind, I just had a very quick play with your picture. if you want this removed, please say so, its no problem. I am limited with with what I can do especially with the whites, but I hope you approve.

5497912678_3eb08b6d38_b.jpg

:) no probs, thanks for showing me the difference it makes.
i see what you mean about the white blown out now i can see some detail, would you say the shot is overexposed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing boring about Mallards.............my favourite bird:LOL:

..........but I have to say the edit presents it best, especially the light in the eye!

Keep 'em coming(y)

i see what you mean about the white blown out now i can see some detail, would you say the shot is overexposed?

Yes Andrew it is a bit overexposed. If you check your histogram you will you will see that the whites are hard up, and peaking against the right hand edge, this indicates that they are overexposed and burnt out. If you shoot in RAW you can sometimes recover this but not always. Its always difficult with subjects with both black and white in them, you need to be accurate in your exposure at the point of taking the shot. Start checking your histogram to check your exposure, and experiment to see what settings work best to give you the right exposure.
There's some info about histograms here
And some more info here, and here.

I hope this helps (y)

Back