weekly Manc Man 52/2012 -WEEK 15 - Departed

I really like the first light painted one. I have yet to try this method but you seem to have cracked it on that one. Even if you did work on it for a while.

The fear shot is good, very quick thinking. My only slight criticism is that the focal point is not quite on repossess description it looks more on the description above it. Maybe a reshoot and a tweak on the focus/angle/dof might do it. But still a great idea and good composition. And of course that is only my opinion.

Dan

Last edited:
I like number 1 but have seen others on here doing the same with the plug hole but with more fear, look forward seeing other shots during the 52.

I like this but I agree with the comment re the focal point. Your eyes don't immediately go to repossess so you have to read up the page.

Agree with what's been said and that's a scary thought you have provoked, well done.

A great start to the 52 Darren!
Direction - really like the light painting on theme and well executed.
Fear - great concept, I agree with some of the comments that you have to go searching a little for the repossess definition, maybe you could find a dictionary with a bigger letter size. Might make it easier to get the focusing spot on. (y)

Hi Darren

very powerful image for Fear.....hopefully things are on the up for you now

Nicely shot , great DOF...good work mister :clap:

Had enough mate, spending more time messing about on the forum trying to update replies to peoples themes than I do taking photos.

That's a pity cos your photos are very good. Why not carry on but limit the number of crits or just crit once a week or once a fortnight? There are a lot of strings and it is difficult to keep up - many have commented on this. And I was thiniking of starting so another distraction cos i am rubbish:D

I agree with the focal point on the fear shot, but a cracking photo and I'm sure a reminder of what nearly happened.

superpippo said:
That's a pity cos your photos are very good. Why not carry on but limit the number of crits or just crit once a week or once a fortnight? There are a lot of strings and it is difficult to keep up - many have commented on this.

Agreed.

I really don't have much time either between my kids, work and my hubby being away. I didn't realise part of this challenge was commenting on everyone else's photos and I honestly can't do it!

So I'm just going to pick through a few here and there! Surely it's all about taking the photos?

Don't quit yet!

I really don't have much time either between my kids, work and my hubby being away. I didn't realise part of this challenge was commenting on everyone else's photos and I honestly can't do it!

So I'm just going to pick through a few here and there! Surely it's all about taking the photos?

Don't quit yet!

It's a fine balance between commenting on all members posts and not commenting at all. If you don't give feedback, you won't receive any any may not learn (that's what I'm here for).

Compromise and comment of those you really like.

I've spend 4 hours tonight commenting and I suspect this will be reciprocated. Do I have 4 hours to spare, not really and I'm knackered. We're all different.

Cheers and good luck all.

I wouldn't give up mate, your off to a cracking start and all. Why not just subscribe to a handful that tend to shoot in a style that you like or would like to shoot and concentrate on that.

Remember also that everyone is keen and up for it but that changes and numbers dwindle, I'm sure Dawn said more people than this started last year an only 7-10
Actually finished.

PM me mate I will ways pop past and give you my amature CC

Or do what I'm currently doing, sitting by the side of a lake trying a star trail and on the forum on my phone lol

Don't know why the moons too bright and it's foggy and there is some proper scarey sounds in these woods lol

Don't give up fella!!

Don't quit Darren, you've made a great start, if you don't get round everybodies, so be it, i know i won't be able to post on everyones, at the end of the day its a personal challenge, its all about taking 1 photo a week and if you can incorporate the theme so be it, at the end if nothing else you'll have probably been pushed out of your comfort zone, and taken photos you wouldn't have dreamt of taking

I really like this fear too. When your (my) eyes catch the words in focus it kinda jolts you. Great idea.

Hi Darren,

There are so many taking up the 52 challenge that I'm also struggling to post comments on everyones posts, so I'm trying to do a few when I can.

Your direction image, is excellent, spot on theme and I love the colours and the simplicity of the shot. Same goes for your take on Fear, simple but powerful....and I notice you have a canon 550d, same camera as me.

All the best

Carol

Hi Darren,

There are so many taking up the 52 challenge that I'm also struggling to post comments on everyones posts, so I'm trying to do a few when I can.

Your direction image, is excellent, spot on theme and I love the colours and the simplicity of the shot. Same goes for your take on Fear, simple but powerful....and I notice you have a canon 550d, same camera as me.

All the best

Carol

Cheers for you comments Carol

Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

i have withdrawn from the 52 challenge, i am going to follow the theme, but just for my own personal interest.

How are you finding your 550D?

Hi Darren,

I think you'll still get alot following the challenge, one of the things I enjoy most is seeing how people interpretate the theme.... so many creative ideas I'd never have thought of.
I'm very happy with the 550, I have an interest in photography and astronomy so wanted a camera that would cover both of these well. So far most of my photography has been night time, by attaching the 550 to my telescope I've been able to take shots of the moon and Jupiter. I have spent a wee while perfecting my technique using the cropped movie mode then stacking the images in a programme called registax. Stacking produces a much better result and I've managed to get quite a few great images so far ...... Well i'm pleased with them :) also use the same technique for solar imaging with a PST.
Any how, I have neglected daytime photography and joined in the 52 challenge to push myself in another direction. Also bought the 50mm 1.8 lens to make myself think more about the shots I take. So for me, the 550 has been an excellent choice and it produces some great images.

What about you? How do you find it? I've enjoyed seeing your work on the 52 so I hope you still post on the other forums. I'm inspired by images taken with exactly the same equipment as I have..... shows it can be done! Lol

anyway Darren enjoy your photography.

Carol

Such a shame to say you are pulling out of the challenge.
Just thought I'd say I have appreciated your comments on my images and I was looking through your thread to return the favour!

If the only reason your stopping the challenge is because of the comment/image balance then I think you should be outrighly selfish and keep up and just manage your own thread. Will be 2 posts a week, 1 with your image for the theme and before that you can say a thank you to the people who have commented on yours!

(y) I really like your images, especially fear! I like the personal engagement.

If not I look forward to seeing your casual theme interpretations!

Such a shame to say you are pulling out of the challenge.
Just thought I'd say I have appreciated your comments on my images and I was looking through your thread to return the favour!
!

Cheers for that Jay. that was my point, a soon a someone passes C&C on your photo you feel obliged to return the favour.

i will continue to follow the theme for personal pleasure and i won't expect any C&C. :bonk:

Last edited:
Nothing better than coming home from work after a hard day in the office, a sigh of relief, time to put your feet up and listen to some music.
Then its dawns on you that it's Saturday and that means theme day, but another sigh of relief as you have it covered.

THE DEEP SIGH, Could be mistaken for FEAR.

Last edited:
Sigh no more! Great idea and a great album! really like that!

Back