weekly Manc Man 52/2012 -WEEK 15 - Departed

Wow you are quick out of the blocks :D

I like #1 the wheel is nicely framed and the movement adds to it greatly.
#3 would be my next preferred but it needed a bit more attention to focus.

Nicely timed trip :D

Some crackers here. All are quite busy, but obviously you couldn't shift things around and I can see how you've worked to compose the photographs.

Of the set, I'm going for #3. The steam really make the photograph. Not sure if the steam caused it being soft :thinking:

Nice one,

Cheers.

Wow that was quick, great effort mate, my first idea was to go there but I think you have covered it very well.

All great photographs but no 3 has to be my favourite, works really well in B&W.

The bar has been set.

Matt

Here's me struggling to think of one image and you come up with 5:nuts:

I like the motion blur in number one.

Number two is good in B & W, but yes I think a little straighten along the bottom edge would help and clone out the light strip across the top, but I like the border.

#3 is my favourite. The conversion to B&W along with the slight vignette really helps to get rid of some of the clutter in the background!

I guess 4 is all about the history while number 5 SCREAMS industry! I like the selective colouring here too, very subtle.

An excellent set:clap:

Nicely timed trip :D

Some crackers here. All are quite busy, but obviously you couldn't shift things around and I can see how you've worked to compose the photographs.

Of the set, I'm going for #3. The steam really make the photograph. Not sure if the steam caused it being soft :thinking:

Nice one,

Cheers.

was hard trying to compose the photos, mothers with pushchairs are worse than grannies with shopping trollies. Lighting was hard, large windows, dark corners and spotlights.

Yep no:3 for me too... looks real nice in the mono (y)

Some good pics there, looks like you had a great day :)

Was a very good day, glad i went.

Wow that was quick, great effort mate, my first idea was to go there but I think you have covered it very well.

All great photographs but no 3 has to be my favourite, works really well in B&W.

The bar has been set.

Matt

Cheers Matt, it's still worth a trip there, have loads of pics. might post some later.

#1 for me. I like the use of motion

have fun trying to get the motion blur just right.

Here's me struggling to think of one image and you come up with 5:nuts:

I like the motion blur in number one.

Number two is good in B & W, but yes I think a little straighten along the bottom edge would help and clone out the light strip across the top, but I like the border.

#3 is my favourite. The conversion to B&W along with the slight vignette really helps to get rid of some of the clutter in the background!

I guess 4 is all about the history while number 5 SCREAMS industry! I like the selective colouring here too, very subtle.

An excellent set:clap:

Thank you, must admit number 3 is my fav one. (y)

Of the first shots 3 would be my favourite but the image is a bit soft, it looks like the focus maybe on the dials on the right or it could be the steam.

Of the new additions I prefer 9. Great motion, nice bit of cheeky colour on the corner, nothing distracting in the background. Great shot. (y)

Of the first shots 3 would be my favourite but the image is a bit soft, it looks like the focus maybe on the dials on the right or it could be the steam.

Of the new additions I prefer 9. Great motion, nice bit of cheeky colour on the corner, nothing distracting in the background. Great shot. (y)

i took for an age to get number 9, i had to wait for loads of *** to stop walking around...
added the colour via picnik, free software with flickr.

All very good shots for industry, I like the captured movement in them too. ;)

All very good shots and as on theme as it's possible to get I think. However it's number 5 for me, I'm a big fan of subtle (and unsubtle tbh) selective colouring and that's really well done.

Hi Darren
Well done on getting so much done so early - but you can't go wrong with a trip to MOSI. Such good stuff on display - and working as well. I like the capture of the steam on 2 of the shots. All of them have good composition except maybe the Davy lamp as I think that it needs a context, and no 6 which looks to have the wrong focus to me. the pick for me would be #5 as , despite what I have said earlier, I like the stillness, tha composition and the selctive colour.(y)

Numbers 1 and 9 for me, I'm especially fond of the sense of movement you have managed to capture in #9! :)

Some really nice shots for 'Industry', #3 is my favorite. And works really well in the B&W conversion. Nice lighting on all shots to.

Well this is a bit of a cheat, i took this on Thursday while at work.
The tree roots (visible) have weakened the brook banking over the years and has resulted in causing damage to invert of the brook bed - causing a small waterfall, over the years the water has washed away the banks to the left and right thus changing the ROUTE of the water course.

Last edited:
Cool shot, not sure if I like the guys in the hi viz in the background.
What do you work as if you don't mind me asking???

I work for a company that does culvert inspection for Environment Agency, we have to either walk through the culvert or send a camera down it.
due to this location being remote we had to walk through.
The high vis is safety equipment and dry suits.

Last edited:
Root - my that was quick!
Like the photo very much.
But (IMHO)...
"The tree roots (visible)..." = Valid interpretation of the theme.
"...thus changing the ROUTE of the water course" = Invalid interpretation of the theme

The root is what i used for the theme and not route. Hence the tree + the fallen tree that had fallen due to what i would suspect was due to root damage.

Hi Darren I really like your industry shots I think number one of the original bunch and number nine of the second are crackers. Love the motion of the wheels an the colour is subtle and works.

It's nice to see some of your shots away from the desktop/table. They were good shots but I was wondering when you were going to get out.

The culvert looks right on theme for root and it's a nice capture. I also wasn't sure about the day glo but after reading it I can see why.

After seeing the last two weeks I would like to see more of your outdoor shots they are good.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Darren I really like your industry shots I think number one of the original bunch and number nine of the second are crackers. Love the motion of the wheels an the colour is subtle and works.

It's nice to see some of your shots away from the desktop/table. They were good shots but I was wondering when you were going to get out.

The culvert looks right on theme for root and it's a nice capture. I also wasn't sure about the day glo but after reading it I can see why.

After seeing the last two weeks I would like to see more of your outdoor shots they are good.

Keep up the good work.

cheers Dan for the feedback. I was glad to get out with my camera for a change, have been very busy as work the last few months - up at 5.00 am and home at 19.00, the last thing on my mind was picking up the camera. but it's started to slow down a bit now.
Sister in Law getting knocked off her horse, horse was put down, this resulted in my wife taking the car most evening and weekends, leaving me stuck a home looking after my daughter, but shes on the mend now.

Last edited:
So you win the award for the fastest posting of the new theme :1st:

I think it's a great shot, I love the icicles too! Not sure on the high vis vests though:shrug:

I like the angle of the second shot with the detail on the walls. But the light at the end looks a little over exposed, but very tricky lighting.

So you win the award for the fastest posting of the new theme :1st:

I think it's a great shot, I love the icicles too! Not sure on the high vis vests though:shrug:

I like the angle of the second shot with the detail on the walls. But the light at the end looks a little over exposed, but very tricky lighting.

Cheers Marsha, I was lucky with this weeks theme as i only downloaded theme on to my laptop this morning, the second shot was only to show Treehugger the work i did was nothing to do with the theme. Link

Well this is a bit of a cheat, i took this on Thursday while at work.

:nono: ... :D

Certainly on theme and a very interesting explanation - HOWEVER you culvert shot is brilliant and so blows your official entry this week completely out of the water! ;)

I like no9 from the MOSI, nice movement and selective colour. I went there too, and it was full of noisy 8 yr olds in high vis jackets :)

The root pic, was a bit quick wasn't it? Bloody hell, I was still in bed! Its a good one, though I'd like the jackets out of the way or toned down.
I like your 2nd vocational pic too, I guess you could say that you are looking into the root cause of a problem down there :)

I like no9 from the MOSI, nice movement and selective colour. I went there too, and it was full of noisy 8 yr olds in high vis jackets :)

The root pic, was a bit quick wasn't it? Bloody hell, I was still in bed! Its a good one, though I'd like the jackets out of the way or toned down.
I like your 2nd vocational pic too, I guess you could say that you are looking into the root cause of a problem down there :)

Never thought of ROOT cause...... thanks for your comments..

Industry - Wow, so many to choose from! My favourite's got to be #3. I love the steam. As a side note, I was looking to go to a museum to get my Industry photo done too, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Back