Manfrotto 486rc2 or 488rc2?

486 has single lever control. 488 has separate lever for panning and knob for ball locking

balls.

Size of the ball and one will rotate I think.

I used to have the 488 and it was excellent. Due to the larger circumference it offers more control.

Graham

Oh okay, so let me get this straight.

The 486 has:
A smaller ball meaning movement is more jerky and less accurate
A single lever to lock the ball in place

The 488:
A bigger ball meaning alterations can be made a lot more carefully and fluently
A knob to control panning separate to locking the ball in place
A lever to lock the ball in place

I think I'll go for the 488. It is more expensive but I think that can be reduced significantly with my staff discount.

The 486 has:

The 488:

I think I'll go for the 488. It is more expensive but I think that can be reduced significantly with my staff discount.

Can't comment on the 488, but the 486 isn't jerky and I find it very accurate - I use it on top of my Monopod and it's a perfect match, can see the advantage of the 488 2 levers if using on a tripod though (y)

Provided the weight isn't an issue, I don't think you'd regret going for the larger 488.

...though I moved to Markins :) and find the AS type heads much nicer to use.

Both good heads, weight capacity is 6 or 8 kg and the 488 has the seperate pan control.
I'd check out the Giottos Series II ball heads - really nice with seperate pan control and a friction control for when the ball is unlocked. The 1301-652 is only a little more expensive than the 486 and has a 10kg weight capacity. You should check out their site, they have great videos of the product being explained www.giottos-tripods.co.uk

The 486 has:

The 488:

Close, it's a lever release for panning and a knob to lock the ball in place. Good choice Sean, you won't regret it. (y)

Bought the 486 initially, decided I wanted a panning base so bought a 488 shortly after. Get the 488, it's got a larger ball and has the panning ability.

Both good heads, weight capacity is 6 or 8 kg and the 488 has the seperate pan control.
I'd check out the Giottos Series II ball heads - really nice with seperate pan control and a friction control for when the ball is unlocked. The 1301-652 is only a little more expensive than the 486 and has a 10kg weight capacity. You should check out their site, they have great videos of the product being explained www.giottos-tripods.co.uk

I have a Giottos series 2 ballhead and its superb.Wouldnt be withough it on either my monopod or tripod.

Back