Marsh Harrier (2 images added)

I can understand you wanting to anchor this with the trees in the background, but I think they are a distraction and don't help the photo. That also looks like a pylon in the bottom right, and I think this would be better with a tighter composition all round, with a bit of room on the left for the harrier to "fly into".

Last edited:
It's nice to get a bird like this Russ, so nice one. I don't mind a bit of interest in the lower part of the frame, and I'm not sure the shot would take too much more cropping without losing too much IQ. I'd be tempted to leave it as is.

Thanks Mike :)
I really like watching these Harriers, but find it difficult to get closer shots - so you are correct about it being a large crop. It would be nice to capture them flying directly over the reed beds and to get a view of the reeds in the shot to provide an anchor as Peter suggests. Perhaps next time :) - also males have more striking plumage than this female so I'll try for one next time!

Russ

only viewing on my phone, but that last one looks great. Will double check later when on my pc.

I prefer shots with some habitat rather than plain backgrounds. I also accept that lain backgrounds sometimes cannot be avoided.

Looking now on my PC Russ, it looks a massive crop and very noisy, I understand the reasons why mate, the buggers never seem to fly near.

Keep at it and i`m sure you`ll get better shots , it is a patience thing.

There are many who say that luck is not involved, I say b****x, sometimes being in the right place at the right time works.

You can help the odds by being out there, but luck sometimes plays a part.

I dont mind any of the crops. Just getting in any position to photograph them is great.

Of course luck is involved. But sometimes you make your own luck by persistence and perseverance. And if youre lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time thats when the skill part comes in.

Back