Meet the old lady

Zeiss Otus 55mm and a speedlight 910
I plan to buy a strobe light next but have no idea what to get so will google it and see what will work best for me at home

How do you have the flash? On or off camera etc.
These are great shots. Look really natural, and a good balance between ambient light and flash.
Keen to learn how you're achieving this look.

I agree with minnnt about #1. #3 is suffering from some faux-DoF editing that doesn't work for me. #2 is far better. I like the white background and even the positioning of the flowers seem to compliment the positioning of your wife in the frame.

Another vote for #2 as it seems more natural and unposed. I also like the minimal DOF that has given a slightly out of focus background.

Rob

How do you have the flash? On or off camera etc.
These are great shots. Look really natural, and a good balance between ambient light and flash.
Keen to learn how you're achieving this look.
Hi Robert
I am a complete novice when it comes to using a flash. I did a flash photography class about 6 months ago but forgot most of that. so this time around I just goggled basic home studio and watched a bunch of youtube videos while trying different stuff. But basically I was using a D800e with a 55mm Zeiss Otus lens and using the pop up flash on the D800 as a trigger. I had one flash on a stand with a white umbrella pointing at my wife and a second flash on the floor bouncing off the celling or wall and just played with these variations until I got something that looked ok. I must say my wife was for once very patient with me fumbling around changing this and that and she had me it fits saying things like "123 Blur" meaning I would take her picture but forget to focus with the manual Otus lens :) :) :)
I am going to get a Strobe light when I get off the rig next month and maybe a backdrop thingie to experiment some more.

Hi Robert
I am a complete novice when it comes to using a flash. I did a flash photography class about 6 months ago but forgot most of that. so this time around I just goggled basic home studio and watched a bunch of youtube videos while trying different stuff. But basically I was using a D800e with a 55mm Zeiss Otus lens and using the pop up flash on the D800 as a trigger. I had one flash on a stand with a white umbrella pointing at my wife and a second flash on the floor bouncing off the celling or wall and just played with these variations until I got something that looked ok. I must say my wife was for once very patient with me fumbling around changing this and that and she had me it fits saying things like "123 Blur" meaning I would take her picture but forget to focus with the manual Otus lens :) :) :)
I am going to get a Strobe light when I get off the rig next month and maybe a backdrop thingie to experiment some more.
Ok thanks for that

Back