Meike extension tubes on nikon d5100 wont AF,--help please

Edit My Images
Yes
hi, just picked up a set of meike extension tubes from here.

Any ideas what if anything im doing wrong, they wont AF or more to the point adjust aperture ??

i cant do anything in any mode except full manual, as anything else just comes up with "no lens"

tried 3 lenses, different tubes, but still the same is their something im doing wrong ??

I've a strong feeling all the Meike sets say not for D3xxx and D5xxx although I can't see why. Unfortunately I no longer have a D5100 to test it on. The single tube I have does work properly on my D7100 though (once I've forced the lens onto it) and the lens I used has a built-in motor.

Last edited:
I've a strong feeling all the Meike sets say not for D3xxx and D5xxx although I can't see why. Unfortunately I no longer have a D5100 to test it on. The single tube I have does work properly on my D7100 though (once I've forced the lens onto it) and the lens I used has a built-in motor.

If the extension tubes are dumb, ie no communication with the camera, then there's a possibility because the autofocus motor is in the lens not the camera, the camera isn't communicating with the lens to activate the autofocus.

Your D7100 has a focus motor built into the camera and is probably using that rather than the motor on your lens when you've attached the extension tube.

Might be wrong, but it sounds logical

If the extension tubes are dumb, ie no communication with the camera, then there's a possibility because the autofocus motor is in the lens not the camera, the camera isn't communicating with the lens to activate the autofocus.

Your D7100 has a focus motor built into the camera and is probably using that rather than the motor on your lens when you've attached the extension tube.

Might be wrong, but it sounds logical

This...

cheers all, understand that, thought as they have the electronics they would work.

i have this set MK-N-AF1-A and looking here it seems to suggest they should work

http://www.mkgrip.com/english.php?m...45&PHPSESSID=323e180f4dfb061ff7166329fa0f4291

to be honest im not really bothered about AF, but the Aperture being fully closed is a real issue, want to make sure its nit something im doing.

EDIT:

seems they may not as i have dc319 on the box and found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meike-Met...t-For-Nikon-AF-AF-S-DX-FX-DC319-/130973852758

typical :(

Last edited:
Nope, it's nonsense. The tubes are not 'dumb', they have a set of electrical contacts and the Sigma 17-70mm I was using has no provision for using the camera motor. In fact, show me any Nikon-fit lens with a built-in motor that does. People really should find out a little about the products they're discussing before posting.

Ah, just thought of something. I think there's a tab on the lens mount on the D5100 (etc.) that's something to do with setting the aperture with older lenses. Scott, if you look at the back of one of the tubes with the electrical contacts at the top then, at around 4 o'clock, the should be a little tab of bent metal. If you then mount the tube on the camera, does that tab press anything on the camera's lens mount?

hi mate,

yes their is a little spring loaded tab on the inside of the body.

each tube has the little tab, take the lens off and you can feel it working the aperture in body. The problem is the d5100 doesn't recognise it has a lens on, so it just disengages all AF, AP and any metering or exposure help, well everything.

seems to be the only way i found to use these is to put a small piece of paper or card in the slot with the aperture lug and jam it wide open but at 2.8 (using my sigma 70-200) DOF is just unusable, focus is insane :) taking shots of spider, maybe 7-8mm in size will hit focus on a leg, but maybe 1mm behind it is blurred and almost unrecognisable, Boken is impressive :p

maybe this is normal with this set-up, never done macro before ?

Last edited:
The one I'm thinking of is on the outside edge of the lens mounting ring on the body. If you're feeling brave you could try removing the tab on the extension tube and see what effect that has. There are two very small screws on the knurled part of the tube and, if you remove them, the little bent tab can be prised out. I've just tried this to make sure it's possible. You only need to do this on the tube that you're attaching to the body.

What you're seeing is perfectly normal for close-up photography and is why you need to select a small aperture. Depth of field will still be small but much better than at full aperture.

Back