Minimalist Light Trails

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
So I'm trying to develop a new minimalist light trail style. I really like the thin light trails on a dark background but I'm wondering if thats just me.

025 by MIkeRandle, on Flickr

023 by MIkeRandle, on Flickr

Last edited:
I actually really like minimalist light trails like this but to to work for me you really need to bring the scene into play too :D as when literally just the light trail you run risk of it looking little more than a MSPaint BMP on a black background with a red or why paint brush swoop :(

You can go down to routes of either a wide aperture to keep the ISO down or also raise the ISO to expose for both the sky and surroundings...I'm guessing these were shot at a low ISO with a small aperture...it also works better if you can get out while there is still some colour in the sky

Last edited:
Okay matthew thats really helpful. I see what you mean about the paint brush effect and i think thats why i prefer the 1st out of these two, because you see more of the road. I'll make sure in the future that its bright enough to capture at least a hint of the surroundings.

Quite an abstract effect that works well (more so with the white headlights).
I think that landscape orientation may be better, but certainly a good idea for a shot - plain and simple with no distractions.

I think that No1 is the best, Michael.

Back