Minolta lens for Sony A57

Name
Harrison
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Thought I'd join these lovely forums.

I recently bought an a57 and want to get some more minolta glass - it came with a 50mm 1.7 which I have been really impressed with.

I was wondering what other lens would be best to go for at this point? There seem to be many, I've read dyxum a bit and was wondering if the following would be a good start...

35-105
70-210 f4 or 100-200
possibly pursue a 100mm 2.8 macro as well.

Is a 50mm 1.4 much better than 1.7 as well?

I want to expand my photography, I mainly shoot my kids but want to do flowers/ birds a bit too.

Thanks!

Ok yes the 50 1.4 is better than the 1.7. Tbh the 1.7 is crap. The newer Sony version of the 1.4 has updated anti flare coatings and is a better lens.

The original 35-105 (with a macro switch) is an amazingly good lens for £1000, the fact it's less than £100 makes it even better! The mk2 version of this lens (plastic, no macro) is junk.

The 70-210 or beer can is good value but its reputation is better than it actually is, I would choose one over the 100-200 4.5 however.

Macro 100 2.8 is superb.

The 50 2.8 macro is also very, very good minolta lens, the mk 1 can be had very cheaply.

ive consindered getting the 100-200 for sports
the 28mm 2.8 is quite nice imo, its got that //////// style grip which i find addictive :eek:

beercan is enjoyable to use aswell

Hi all,

Thought I'd join these lovely forums.

I recently bought an a57 and want to get some more minolta glass - it came with a 50mm 1.7 which I have been really impressed with.

I was wondering what other lens would be best to go for at this point? There seem to be many, I've read dyxum a bit and was wondering if the following would be a good start...

35-105
70-210 f4 or 100-200
possibly pursue a 100mm 2.8 macro as well.

Is a 50mm 1.4 much better than 1.7 as well?

I want to expand my photography, I mainly shoot my kids but want to do flowers/ birds a bit too.

Thanks!

I will disagree with the other comment, the Minolta 50mm f1.7 is not crap, it's a bargain for a full frame prime. On APS-C then the Sony 50mm f1.8 is preferable for the SAM motor and lens coatings, but the Minolta is a fine lens.

The Sony 50mm f1.4 however is only better in the sense that the centres sharpen up quicker because it has a head start being f1.4 rather than f1.7. If you are getting great results with the Minolta at around f2.2 then don't bother replacing with the Sony as it won't be any better as it only gets really sharp from f2.2 onwards. I've had both, now have the Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM but that's another story and outside of your assumed budget. ;)

The 35-105 isn't wide enough for APS-C. I wouldn't bother. I can see why you have mentioned it, there is much hype around it.

The 70-210mm f4 is big, heavy, noisy and a little slow to AF. Mine was a lovely lens, but stayed in my bag due to these reasons and you won't be shooting it at f4 anyway. Another hyped up lens that can be replaced with equally good lenses that are more likely to stay on your camera.

I have the 100mm f2.8 but prefer the focus ring and bokeh of the cheaper Tamron 90mm f2.8 which I also have and it makes for a very nice long portrait lens as a result. They are both sharp, so get the cheapest and that'll probably be my version, the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Model 72E. There are later versions like the 272E etc., but optically they are pretty much the same, so look out for the older 72E as it goes cheaper and is excellent. If offered one do not get the very old Tamron 90mm f2.5.

You don't say if you already have a "standard" kit zoom, such as the Sony 18-55mm. If not then get onto eBay and start bidding on the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 as that'll be your most used lens and for the price is very, very, good. I had one before getting the Sony 16-50mm f2.8 which even second-hand I am guessing is outside your budget. You will love the Tamron, it's a gem. Also consider the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4, just as sharp and 20mm longer but not a constant f2.8 and I prefer aperture over focal length, but you may want longer.

As for a tele-zoom, well that is something to save a bit for and the ~210mm focal length won't be long enough for birds anyway. Take a look at second-hand Sony 55-300mm and Tamron 70-300mm USD (not the cheaper non-USD) as starting points.

Last edited:
ive consindered getting the 100-200 for sports
the 28mm 2.8 is quite nice imo, its got that //////// style grip which i find addictive :eek:

beercan is enjoyable to use aswell

I would disagree, I had one and sent it back after testing, online reviews also sugest its soft especially in the corners. Indeed on APS-C the prime won't be any better than 28mm on a std 2.8 zoom.

The 28 F2 however is a different kettle of fish!

The 35-105 isn't wide enough for APS-C. I wouldn't bother. I can see why you have mentioned it, there is much hype around it.

Depends what your shooting. On APS-C it could replace the following primes (FFE) 50mm, 85mm, 135mm. So very useful if those are your focal lengths.

Depends what your shooting. On APS-C it could replace the following primes (FFE) 50mm, 85mm, 135mm. So very useful if those are your focal lengths.

I'd put the money towards the 17-50/17-70, a lens that will stay on the camera most of the time to chase the kids with.

If you're on a fail;y tight budget (and it sounds like you are), then it's not worth upgrading from the Minolta 50 f/1.7 to the 50 f/1.4 - the one you have can produce some great shots, ant you will get more benefit spending the cash elsewhere.

For a 'walkabout' lens, the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a good choice, it has a field of view comparable to a 24-70 on Full Frame, which is a very usable range.

The Minolta 35-105 is well regarded (I've not used one myself, but I do have it's 'little brother', the 35-70 f/4, which is a lovely (and very cheap) lens, sharp with lovely colours), but personally I woudl find it an odd range on APS-C - too wide at the short end to be a general walkabout, and too short at the long end to be a general purpose tele zoom.

When wanting to find out more about lenses for the Sony Alpha system it's always worth checking the Dyxum Lens database http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

I've just acquired a Sony 50 f1.4 in the hope of getting that amazing super-sharp and paper thin DoF effect, but the lens really isn't any better than the f1.7 I already had.The extra light is nice, but that's all. It may become available shortly in the classifieds.

If the OP doesn't have a 'standard' zoom then I'm going to suggest looking for the Sony 18-55 SAM II kit lens - very different from the original SAM kit lens. I've been incredibly impressed with mine, and used between f8 and f11 I'll happily print to 20X30 for an amazing amount of detail. It's also small, light and focuses very cose for a non-macro lens.

My old 70-210 beercan is OK but suffers bad fringing, even stopped down.

The 75-300 is also a useful Minolta lens, but there are several versions (all cheap on the bay) and it's well worth reading up at Dyxum.com to make sure you choose a good one.

Last edited:
The SAMII seems to do colour well. I briefly had the Zeiss 16-80, and it's astonishingly good: wide open it's close to the SAMII at f8, and down 2 stops it's a bit crisper, plus you can point it into the sun and have no fear of flare. It is a more neutral lens than the SAMII, and the minimum focal distance is longer, otherwise it would be pretty much perfect (shame about the bad build quality).

Back