Minotaur Beetle Stack

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
First attempt at a minotaur beetle. 70 shot F5 Stack using stack shot.(PS CC Stacked in 2 sub stacks) Posed the beetle on a log. Think it can be improved in pose and some other ways, so beetles back in the jar...

Minotaur1.jpg

Excellent Chris! I love this kind of natural environment studio stack. You have probably stumbled across him on Flickr, but I consider Andre de Kesel to be one of the best at this type of thing. Well worth looking at his work for inspiration if you haven't already.

I think you've encountered the issue @Carlh was describing in his coin stacking thread as I can see some blurry areas and I'm not sure why they are there. If using stack shot I'm pretty sure it should take care of any "gaps" in the focus points (unless it was configured incorrectly). I suspect this is a result of the stacking process in PS, and if this is the case then I would suggest it may be worth investing in one of the dedicated stacking utilities available. I believe both Helicon Focus and Zerene both offer downloadable trial versions, however I am happy to pass your files through my copy of zerene if you would like to compare results with PS.

Other than that I think you can get some more diffusion in your setup as you are still getting some strong highlights (not bad highlights, but I feel there is room for improvement) and think I would play with the composition slightly as I'm not keen on the slight crop to the body on the right, with more room to play with on the left. That said it does add to the feeling that this was taken in the field (where this type of thing would be more excusable). I do like the low angle you have gone for which makes the subject look very impressive (more like a triceratops than a minotaur in my opinion).

I assume you've placed a blue card or something similar behind to represent a sky (or did you take this outside to shoot)? It works very well but you have got some blue light bouncing back onto the subject. I'm not sure if this would occur out in the field but something worth looking into I think.

There are a few points of critique there but overall I think this is excellent. Something I would like to try myself at some point, I'd be interested in knowing where you sourced the beetle from.

Thanks both :)

Tim Many thanks for the great critique (y) & thanks for pointing Andre out - I use flickr - apart from a link someone sends. Yes I was not overly happy with the stack, as there are some blurry areas. These I believe to be PS stacking issues, but I did not tweak the layers. I have Helicon and normally use that. It allows retouch on each image. Would be interesting to compare a better stack at some point with Zerene.

I fully agree with the highlights - I am not sure if this is from my flash or the room light. As I said the composition needs some work. I was thinking of more side on - but from what you've said I might do that and improve this angled shot.

Yes I had some card in the back ground. I will look at the blue cast that you mention. I think I need a better place to stage the shots. You don't know what the card hides :D

This beetle I found when out on a path - dead. I do have another source of dead insects though.;)

That's a very nice shot Chris, with some fine detail. Unfortunately I'm not able to comment on the stacking ability as at this moment in time I've not ventured into those realms but I do of coarse fully understand what it's all about.(y)

George.

I can't top Timmy critique but I must say I'm fascinated with this type of stacking wish I could do it a 10% of how well you do.

Nice stack. I like the pastel background too.

Tim - actually, I think John Hallmen and Nikola Rahme are two of the best. Check them out on Flickr.

Amazing work Chris
really natural looking too
I agree with Tim about the crop a slightly wider view would be better to give it more space
a 70 shot stack is impressive I normally manage two or three!
I didn't realise that you needed to take that many shots to get a subject like that all in focus

I guess its because of the depth of the subject and the angle

Last edited:
Back