Mona Vale

Edit My Images
No
As usual the day off I get just so happens the day after a good sunrise... but as I try to get out more, I just went. I originally planned to go elsewhere, but last minute in the car I thought I'd hit the coast as there was a fair bit of cloud coverage that I thought might be one of those red mornings. Alas I arrived and it wasn't going to happen. It is my first time at Mona Vale and I knew there was a cool tidal swimming pool there, but not today. It was empty and closed. Next up I wandered around the rock shelf, I didn't really find anything. Then as the sun came up I rushed about and settled with this. Got fairly wet out there.

Mona Vale by Tannachy, on Flickr

I played with the tilt shift blur on Photoshop...

Mona Vale by Tannachy, on Flickr

1 is Nice shot I love the shutter speed used.
2 I am less keen having seen 1.

Yes really like No1, really works for me like Alf says the shutter speed was just right, nice starburst of rays from the sun, and the flow of the water running back over the rocks, well captured, and worth getting wet for!

I like image 1 very much...just the right amount of water motion.
The 2nd though, doesn't look T/S...just OOF, sorry.

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm glad you all like the water motion, it is the thing I concentrate on most when shooting seascapes. So I actually tend to shoot with shutter priority, it can be difficult judging the right shutter speed, though it is usually somewhere between 1/5s-1s depending on the power on the water.

And the second was just an experiment, to see if focusing one element would work or not.

Last edited:
Well, to be different, i prefer the 2nd. It would work better if there was a feature the focus was concentrating on but the effect is the 'toy town' one and makes you wonder if it is a tiny ledge or huge cliff you are looking out on. The sun size then is at odds with what your brain's telling you. FWIW I think its worth experimenting more with!

I like number 1 everything is obvious and clear, but number two with poinedt focus works better for me :)

Love it, why F16 on a crop though ? ? ? Regardless, very nice balanced lighting with perfect water movement and great foreground detail...........

Back