More advice

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just got hold of an old 50mm 1.7 for my Minolta 7D. I think it's a cracking lens and I'm just playing about with it. It's really taking some getting used to the shallow DOF, so I would appreciate any advice on how best to use it.

Here is a picture I took.

PICT0013-01.jpg

I haven't done much conversion to B&W so I would like a few pointers in improving that too...

The DoF aswell as taking alot of getting used to is of course part of the magic when you crack it, think you have done a good job here. The left eye might be borderline but its still very clear, rest of the face is in focus - the right eye is very sharp and spot on. Seems to give a really nice bokeh - no harsh lines, just nice gentle blurring.
Definately looks like you got yourself a good copy and Im sure it will quickly become a niche lens for low light and portrait shots that you will want to use at every possible opportunity.

(y)

Nice portrait that, the tones are nice without going too light/dark.
I think on the b&w front, it's all down to personal taste - I use a lot of much darker tones in mine wheras others prefer a more high key look.
one of Venomators posts recently had some great posts about b&w in case you didn't see it (think the thread title is "mono Millie") & also look at pretty much any of Diego's b&w work for something to aim for.
Looking very promising.

And there I was thinking I was the only minolta dSLR user on these forums, I've only got the 5d though. I've got my eye on ebay to pick up a 50mm 1.7 to add to my bag seems to be a very popular lens from reading about it here :)

Hi Gemok look for Minolta 7000 and often it comes with the 50mm 1.7 and it's cheaper than the lens on its own. That's what I did and I've got a 35mm SLR if I fancy having ago with film.

Back