More coins, stacked this time

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
10pence, 12 stacks and a few coins, 15 stacked images. F5 and ISO320

Mostly let PS CS6 do all of the hard work, load files into stack, let it auto-align, then selected all layers, crop out where I have had a wobble and there are white bits where alignment has taken place, go to edit menu and Auto-Blend Images, fannies your aunt.
Save the image as a TIFF then throw it back into Camera raw to do some adjustments, sharpening etc..

16245060786_c24ba6a07a_b.jpg

16270167122_dd5b6b7782_b.jpg

Ta for popping in

Nice shots Carl, 2nd one for me even though there is a little blur here and there.
Its been 4 1/2 years since I've seen UK money, its good to have a reminder what it looks like lol :)

Very nice, but i can help notice the random blurs in places?

Right side of the 1p
top left side of the 10p
left side of the 2p

very strange? Are those supposed to be there

Yeah that's generally from the focus stacking script in my experience (or at least I've had similar things happen when using the Photoshop one).

It can be tweaked manually later by editing the masks etc but maybe there's some products which do a better job than others out there?

There not stacked there lying flat on the table :naughty:
I spend most of my time giving coins away, I have never really noticed the lovely designs. The second shot looks great on my iPad especially the 1p.

Lighting is spot on Carl showing the details nicely
I can't see the out of focus parts but am viewing on my phone:)

Yep, for some reason, its put blurs around it. Might be the alignment and blending features combined. I might try and pop one single image behind in a layer and "rub-through" with the eraser, but maybe for next time. Will go do a google search now on why the blurs are happening, see if there is an easy way of fixing it or preventing it - thanks for all the comments :)

Yep, for some reason, its put blurs around it. Might be the alignment and blending features combined. I might try and pop one single image behind in a layer and "rub-through" with the eraser, but maybe for next time. Will go do a google search now on why the blurs are happening, see if there is an easy way of fixing it or preventing it - thanks for all the comments :)

In the few focus stacking tests/attempts I've had, I usually put the blurry bits down to 'making the slices too thick' if that makes sense? The trouble with that is, you then end up taking loads of different shots to blend and then you need a decent amount of memory for PS to play with lol

I need to upgrade from 8GB of RAM! It's the only real weak point of my PC and limits my Photoshop activities a little.

I don't really use photoshop for stacking, but my only experience of blurred areas are where I've missed a "slice" of focus, or the is insufficient overlap of DoF (which will have a gradient of focus, so even if you think you have the total area within focus, the outer edges of the in focus area will actually be quite blurry...if that makes sense).

The fact the blurred areas seem to follow the curve of the edges of the coins suggests this is unlikely the cause here and it could be down to movement/misalignment of frames which PS has been unable to resolve. Did you do this with a tripod and a macro rail?

Nice images regardless! Hope you find a solution as you've got nice lighting and great details here!

I don't really use photoshop for stacking, but my only experience of blurred areas are where I've missed a "slice" of focus, or the is insufficient overlap of DoF (which will have a gradient of focus, so even if you think you have the total area within focus, the outer edges of the in focus area will actually be quite blurry...if that makes sense).

The fact the blurred areas seem to follow the curve of the edges of the coins suggests this is unlikely the cause here and it could be down to movement/misalignment of frames which PS has been unable to resolve. Did you do this with a tripod and a macro rail?

Nice images regardless! Hope you find a solution as you've got nice lighting and great details here!
No, handheld, I tried keeping it steady, then just moved the focus ring slightly, took a shot, moved it again, took a shot and so on. Maybe more shots would have done it as it isn't many I guess, next time will try smaller focus ring adjustments and see if that solves it

Sorry matey I'm a bit late on parade I missed this posting up until now.:(

A couple of nice images Carl, and the stacking looks pretty good to me apart from the softish edges.(y)

I've never attempted stacking but I sure would be interested to know how it's done in PS if you ever have the time to explain it to me.:)

George.

very nice lighting on all these bouncing off ceiling has worked a treat think a little more stacking editing is required.

#2 as per problems @stument

#1 around the top half edge of coin and a little blur on the bottom

But as I know this is a practice brilliant effort and better than I do with stacking.

(y)

Back