More Collembola/Springtails

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Again all shot with the 18-55mm + 1.4x TC + Flash Diffused

Had a better time today shooting and was lucky enough to see one cleaning itself by spitting a droplet of liquid and rolling it around itself and for some reason I seem to find lots of them on their backs. Whether if this is cause they have knackered themselves from jumping around so much that they need a break.

See My Flickr for the rest.

1. Bubble Blowing

IMG_7604
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. Rolling it around

IMG_7611
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_7615
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. Laying back and reflecting

IMG_7625
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_7589
by bthomas124, on Flickr

6. Tight Rope experts

IMG_7592
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_7561
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_7633
by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments welcome and appreciated

:ty:

great shots Bryn, now you have found them easy to find. Tbh I dont know if there are any French springys or globbys but Im sure there is if I knew here to look.
Anyways, its great to see one cleaning itself that way, very well spotted and getting that action shot. (y)

I love the first 3 shots with the contrasting moss. I haven't come across many shots of them on moss. It must be like trekking through dense jungle for them.

"Tremendous" set Bryn, and very well seen. Good to see your work being posted again.(y)

(Sorry I'm a bit late to the party matey but I'm back in the States for a short while at the moment).

George.

Nice! I love #1 (I would have been tempted to cheat with the bottom left hand corner to go for artistic perfection - I think it needs the width so a crop wouldn't do it.)

And #5. Another one on its back! And look how clearly you can see its springy thingy. Super clarity and lovely colours.

Thanks mate I will try out the cheat ;) really appreciated. I have no idea why I keep finding critters on there backs.

great shots Bryn, now you have found them easy to find. Tbh I dont know if there are any French springys or globbys but Im sure there is if I knew here to look.
Anyways, its great to see one cleaning itself that way, very well spotted and getting that action shot. (y)

Mate look under or around leaf piles and in damp conditions. Just ruffle up the leaves and you will see specs of dust flying around. With your glasses on you spot them no hassle. :p

I love the first 3 shots with the contrasting moss. I haven't come across many shots of them on moss. It must be like trekking through dense jungle for them.

Thanks mate I found a few on the moss areas on the walled sections of my garden. They don't seem to have much issue navigating anything from what I have seen.

Wonderful series - loving the bubble in #1.

Paul.

I wasn't expecting them to be bubble blowers.

"Tremendous" set Bryn, and very well seen. Good to see your work being posted again.(y)

(Sorry I'm a bit late to the party matey but I'm back in the States for a short while at the moment).

George.

NP mate where in the US are you? Could be worse you could be @Lez325 who has disappeared off the earth lol

Thanks for the comment. Get some US bugs. ;)

NP mate where in the US are you? Could be worse you could be @Lez325 who has disappeared off the earth lol

Thanks for the comment. Get some US bugs. ;)

I think Les is very busy with the Pheasant season.

I'm back at our place at "Spring Creek" Tennessee (Medina), roughly half way between Memphis & Nashville. It's a whole lot of cotton fields here and we obviously have to spray them to keep the bugs away. If we're really unlucky we get to see some Weevils (little black things) which spell disaster for cotton growers and can wreck a cotton field in a very short time.

George.

I think Les is very busy with the Pheasant season.

I'm back at our place at "Spring Creek" Tennessee (Medina), roughly half way between Memphis & Nashville. It's a whole lot of cotton fields here and we obviously have to spray them to keep the bugs away. If we're really unlucky we get to see some Weevils (little black things) which spell disaster for cotton growers and can wreck a cotton field in a very short time.

George.

Awesome... i was only messing about Les it game season so he is indeed very busy and so are you by sounds of it. Would love to see your place sounds amazing. Still should be some bugs around for you ;)

Would love to see your place sounds amazing.

I'll get some shots up on Flickr for you to have a gander at. I shouldn't think it's worth posting anything on TP though unless I get the chance to get a few bug shots.

George.

Would love to see your place sounds amazing.

I'll get some shots up on Flickr for you to have a gander at. I shouldn't think it's worth posting anything on TP though unless I get the chance to get a few bug shots.

Sir, Your wish is my command. All done and dusted.:)

George.

Cheers looks amazing. So how much time do you spend in US/UK? Wait a cotton picking minute! Excuse the pun!

We have a game keeper a cotton farmer this is awesome place.

About half & half time in each. I don't actually have a lot to do with the cotton farming side of things, that's left mainly to those that know what they're doing. I just provide the facilities and tend to get out there and get in the way some of the time. :)

George.

More great finds Bryn. With regard to the "bubble blowing" I've never seen them do this in the same way as I've seen flies doing it (as an uneducated guess, as a means of aiding digestion), blowing out a bubble of liquid and sucking it back in after a few minutes repeatedly. As you have seen Springtails will produce a drop of liquid and rub this over themselves (passing it between legs) to pick up microscopic particles and keep themselves clean. They do this quite frequently (must be difficult keeping yourself clean if you live in the leaf litter).

Great result again, although the first three could be warmed up a bit. Not sure why you are finding so many bugs on their backs! Have you had your bath this month? ;)

More great finds Bryn. With regard to the "bubble blowing" I've never seen them do this in the same way as I've seen flies doing it (as an uneducated guess, as a means of aiding digestion), blowing out a bubble of liquid and sucking it back in after a few minutes repeatedly. As you have seen Springtails will produce a drop of liquid and rub this over themselves (passing it between legs) to pick up microscopic particles and keep themselves clean. They do this quite frequently (must be difficult keeping yourself clean if you live in the leaf litter).

Great result again, although the first three could be warmed up a bit. Not sure why you are finding so many bugs on their backs! Have you had your bath this month? ;)

The first 3 were nearly the last I took and represent how cold I was lol.

I did wonder maybe it's time for my monthly bath ;)

No four is my favourite too well done on getting the reflection
like them all though

Back