More Collembola

Edit My Images
Yes
Calvatomina nr superba by T0P cat, on Flickr

This one is new to me and i he hardly moved but was facing downhill. I did managed to get his eyes but with them being black and the light at 5x mag being dim at best i couldn't nail the focus. Lovely colours though.

——- by T0P cat, on Flickr

Then finally this chap just wandered into the scene.

—— by T0P cat, on Flickr

Last edited:
Seem to be getting on ok with the MP-E, Lighting is a little too harsh on all of these which means you have lost quite a bit of contrast.

Remember your light source doesn't need to be huge for these types of high magnification. Was the flash set to ETTL? or Manual?

As an idea I have my YN-560 mkIII set to 1/32 - 1/32 +2/3 mostly for f11 shooting.

My setup...

Last edited:
Wow TC. Seriously wow! These are awesome. Number 4 is my favourite, especially for composition, but you got an interesting rear shot with #2.

Did you get any other shots of #5? I'm intrigued as to what species that one is. I can't place it from that angle.

Seem to be getting on ok with the MP-E, Lighting is a little too harsh on all of these which means you have lost quite a bit of contrast.

Remember your light source doesn't need to be huge for these types of high magnification. Was the flash set to ETTL? or Manual?

As an idea I have my YN-560 mkIII set to 1/32 - 1/32 +2/3 mostly for f11 shooting.

My setup...

Yes you are correct, this is without a diffuser. I have been using the twin-lite MT-24. i made two small diffusers for them but they covered the focus light and i just couldn't see enough of the scene without it. i know i could use a torch but i had enough going on without using that as well. Its still a work in progress. The MT-24 gets in the way a lot.

Wow TC. Seriously wow! These are awesome. Number 4 is my favourite, especially for composition, but you got an interesting rear shot with #2.

Did you get any other shots of #5? I'm intrigued as to what species that one is. I can't place it from that angle.

I did Tim, but they are not very good. I will load one up onto Flickr fro you.

I agree with you, but think the light is evenly distributed, maybe just a little bright. This is easily rectified and contrast can be added in post (just be careful not to over do it). I'd say these are a good base image to start your post processing with.

I think you have a Katianna sp., but I wouldn't swear to it. Best tag it with the term "collembola" and stick a reference on the map to it and hopefully Frans will help confirm. Great finds!

That close-up crop is superb!

Edit: just noticed my inadvertent pun with that last line ;)

Last edited:
I think you have a Katianna sp., but I wouldn't swear to it. Best tag it with the term "collembola" and stick a reference on the map to it and hopefully Frans will help confirm. Great finds!

That close-up crop is superb!

Edit: just noticed my inadvertent pun with that last line ;)

Looks like this is the as yet unlassified Katianna. sp (Edward Nurcombe's shot) nov 2 https://flic.kr/p/q31MYp

We have the nov 1 species in the woods behind us.

Looks like this is the as yet unlassified Katianna. sp (Edward Nurcombe's shot) nov 2 https://flic.kr/p/q31MYp

We have the nov 1 species in the woods behind us.
Yeah that was what i was originally thinking, but I think some of the markings are sufficiently different to make me uncertain. I didn't realise these were so wide-spread. i know eddie usually has to travel to the botanical gardens in Sheffield to find them. I think it's you lot keeping all those exotic plants :)

I agree with you, but think the light is evenly distributed, maybe just a little bright. This is easily rectified and contrast can be added in post (just be careful not to over do it). I'd say these are a good base image to start your post processing with.

I personally prefer to get as much as possible right in camera... though I do often find myself reducing the highlights and whites further in post. You are right the light is even as would expect for the MT-24.

@T0p cat have a look at @ChrisA blog he has a nifty easy to make diffuser for the flash.

Edit: ******* LINKY ******* plus you get some creme slices in the deal too.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. dare i ask what the appendage is you can see hanging down near the neck area on the last image. ( it can't be! can it :wideyed:o_O;) )

Thanks guys. dare i ask what the appendage is you can see hanging down near the neck area on the last image. ( it can't be! can it :wideyed:o_O;) )

Thats its Spring tail (hence the term "Springtail") used to escape foes... lol

See the link above for the diffuser managed to find it for you.

Thats its Spring tail (hence the term "Springtail") used to escape foes... lol

See the link above for the diffuser managed to find it for you.

I made two out of dairylea dipper tubs but they have the same problem as the link above in that they cover the focus beam and really restrict your movement when on the ground. At 5x mag ( tiny focus distance ) you almost have to have the lens pointing down my guess is 45-50 degrees. The diffusers are then hitting all sorts. I am going to try the Stofen type i think and cut the bottom out and replace with the famous TV wrapping stuff. I am sure i will get there soon. (y)

These are an "Awesome" set of images T0p cat. I'm far too new to macro/close up photography to even think of naming any of the subjects, but I would be really pleased if I had taken any of these shots.(y)

George.

I made two out of dairylea dipper tubs but they have the same problem as the link above in that they cover the focus beam and really restrict your movement when on the ground. At 5x mag ( tiny focus distance ) you almost have to have the lens pointing down my guess is 45-50 degrees. The diffusers are then hitting all sorts. I am going to try the Stofen type i think and cut the bottom out and replace with the famous TV wrapping stuff. I am sure i will get there soon. (y)

Having not used the mt-24 I can't really help advise on those problems but I did think you could rotate the lights maybe wrong again and may have seen someone chop up theirs to make new brackets that allowed them to position them correctly.

Whatever I'm sure that you'll get it sorted and I'm glad you have a setup your happy with / enjoying using.

Back