More Fungi ....almost there, but not quite ....

Name
susie
Edit My Images
Yes
I was out yesterday specifically looking for fungi and was really pleased to find so many .... I was quite pleased with these, but I know there's room for improvement. All taken in natural light ...I don't have a separate flash. Any comments or handy hints are more than welcome.

15584438625_1ce39127e0_b.jpg

15584444705_475c1abff2_b.jpg

15585292752_e7529dbfc2_b.jpg

15560773296_2c4e775000_b.jpg

15584454135_d37f840370_b.jpg

15585308392_61f8297990_b.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice set there Susie but it's a shame that you don't have a flash, as cheap as they are, would have thrown so much more light onto these fabulous shots and given them a little more PoP.
So nice to see such a great amount of different fungi around.

Thanks folks ...much appreciated comments.

Graham ...I am going to get a flash but have totally confused myself ...I can't decide between a ring flash, one mounted on the camera, or a separate one .... i will get one as soon as I decide .... I know it would be really handy.

Susie, These are a great set of images I like them all very much. Some lovely colours there with the first shot looking like they are lit from inside if you know what I mean. (y)

I agree with Graham that a little bit of flash would have brought the very best out of them.

George.

Thanks folks ...much appreciated comments.

Graham ...I am going to get a flash but have totally confused myself ...I can't decide between a ring flash, one mounted on the camera, or a separate one .... i will get one as soon as I decide .... I know it would be really handy.

I think a standard flash gun maybe better as your first rather than a ring flash, buy an extension so it can operated On or off camera

If you can get the shots on a tripod or lying down on the floor you can get just as good shots if not better in my opinion without flash. Just look at the last set from Les. It is after all nature and natural light has the best quality when exposed correctly. Have a look at some of the dragon and butterflies on Flickr taken early in the morning when they are too cold to move. You can tell the natural light pictures as the whole image has a beautiful milky white tone. Obviously they take more time to get everything right but you get the time with mushrooms unless they are shooting past you in a trolley.

Thanks so much folks that's so encouraging ... I was a bit nervous of posting them but I'm glad I did now :)

Thank you for the advice on the flash and the reflector ...I was out with a new photography group on Sunday and someone did take out a piece of tin foil and use it as one !
Although I do like the idea of the sunlight as illumination, as I love natural light.

I've set myself fungi as my project for the next few months, I really want to find some Fly Agaric I think they look lovely especially if you can find a little clump of them ... the hunt continues :)

Lovely work Susie, I really like the back lighting effects. Don't forget you can use a reflector to reflect sunlight too, not just a flash ;)

If you want to get a flash anyway, I would recommend getting a "standard" one along with a cheap flash cord so you can take it off camera (same as @lightshipman recommends). Let us know what camera model you use and we might be able to recommend some specific models.

Lovely work Susie, I really like the back lighting effects. Don't forget you can use a reflector to reflect sunlight too, not just a flash ;)

If you want to get a flash anyway, I would recommend getting a "standard" one along with a cheap flash cord so you can take it off camera (same as @lightshipman recommends). Let us know what camera model you use and we might be able to recommend some specific models.

Thanks Tim :)

I only use a small bridge camera .... nothing posh :) It's a Panasonic DMC-G5 ... I'm not sure if there are many flash units that will fit it ... I've searched the internet but can't seem to get anywhere, so any suggestions are very welcome. I did think of something like this, but of course you can't use this off the camera.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-In...F8&qid=1413845515&sr=8-5&keywords=lumix+flash

Last edited:
If it was me, I'd go for something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-YN560-III-INT-YongNuo-YN-560-Flashgun/dp/B00BXA7N6A

coupled with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vktech-Yongnuo-YN560-TX-Wireless-Controller/dp/B00LWZCWIA

or a cheap flash cord. I've never used either of them, but I hear very good things about YongNuo flashes, especially for the price. This is Yongnuo's flagship model, so I imagine it would be quite big (and heavy) so it might be worth looking for smaller models depending on your needs. I'm pretty sure they should work with your Panasonic, but it's worth posting in the equipment thread to see if anyone can confirm (if no one here can) before taking the plunge.

Thanks for that @TimmyG ... much appreciated ...it's rather like walking across a minefield once you start to look. Sometimes I wonder if I made the best choice with my Panasonic, I guess I know a lot more now than I did when I bought it 18 months ago. But it seems to do everything I need and I didn't want anything too big or heavy,
I'll post a question in the equipment thread later but it does look as if that one will be fine.

There are so many options out there along with endless discussions around which one is best. Try to ignore them as much as you can. If you aren't getting the quality of images you want it's generally you that needs improving rather than your gear ;)

Judging by the quality of the shots you've posted you shouldn't have any worries anyway, I think the Panasonic was an excellent choice.

Back