More Grand Prix action from Silverstone

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Had an eventful weekend thanks to a friends decision to plan his wedding for the Saturday, so attended the Friday..then went up to Newcastle for the day then back to Silverstone for Sunday. I went with General Admission this time around, while fine for Friday Sunday was a total failure for both viewing position and photos (I think words need to be had with organisers on how to set up viewing positions).

Anyway here goes, all from general viewing with 400mm f5.6 through fence, most with a 1.4x. the sun ruined most my shots thanks to glare but when it went behind the clouds the gear fought back... pretty happy with some of these :)

C&C always welcome

1. Roman Big John
Romain Grosjean by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

2. Someone sat on the front of my car
Fernando Alonso by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

3. Must be flying cars for me to photograph them
RAF Red Arrows by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr
4. I was supposed to be going to a hospitality event at the test next week with GE, so of course fernades binned off the team and dropped them as a sponsor just in time to screw me over.... not that I'm bitter.. heres Alexander Rossi - HE SUCKS!
Alexander Rossi by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

5. Well it was always going to be one of them... turns out it was only one of them
Lewis Hamilton by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

6. Still leading.... but there's not really any space to move into
Jolyon Palmer by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

7. Curry Marmite...
Sergio Perez by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr
8. Oh Well.. you cant win or come second in them all
Nico Rosberg by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

Cheers for looking, maybe some more on Flickr over time :)

Last edited:
Really nice set as usual, especially like 5, we must have crossed paths on the Friday, have some with almost the same pov, although not as sharp as yours !

Paul.

Really nice set as usual, especially like 5, we must have crossed paths on the Friday, have some with almost the same pov, although not as sharp as yours !

Paul.

Cheers Paul, I never know who anyone is :) .... I was camped out by the big screen on the grass at luffield. The light was my biggest enemy to sharpness, are you up for the test tomorrow and Wednesday?

Good set. 5 is my pick of the bunch. I quite like number 7 too.

Like Paul said, must've crossed paths many times over the weekend! I didn't shoot from Luffield much, but the Carlsberg tent was my go to source for refreshment. :D

Cheers Paul, I never know who anyone is :) .... I was camped out by the big screen on the grass at luffield. The light was my biggest enemy to sharpness, are you up for the test tomorrow and Wednesday?
No, unfortunately not, I'm off to Donington on Wednesday for formula E.

Very nice again Jon, your set up really does bring out the detail in the cars, #5 for me , lovely shot.

Good set. 5 is my pick of the bunch. I quite like number 7 too.

Like Paul said, must've crossed paths many times over the weekend! I didn't shoot from Luffield much, but the Carlsberg tent was my go to source for refreshment. :D
Cheers George, I tended to stick to the fosters myself for nostalgic reasons haha (fist year of varied larger options)

Very nice again Jon, your set up really does bring out the detail in the cars, #5 for me , lovely shot.
Thanks, takes a bit of work in pp as well, but I do love the results when it works well. I'd like a longer wider prime so I don't have to reli so heavily on the TC but until I'm getting paid to do it that's not gonna happen (probably never in other words)

Thanks, takes a bit of work in pp as well, but I do love the results when it works well. I'd like a longer wider prime so I don't have to reli so heavily on the TC but until I'm getting paid to do it that's not gonna happen (probably never in other words)

Well your end results look great, it shows what can be achieved even on a GP weekend with all the crowds and without a media pass. I hadn't even contemplated going but may give it a bash next year all being well. Your lens/TC combo works really well, I can't reach that level of sharpness with my F4 300/1.4TC combo on a Nikon crop body, unless I haven't tuned it in properly ? I'll fiddle with it some mor ethis weekend ;)

Well your end results look great, it shows what can be achieved even on a GP weekend with all the crowds and without a media pass. I hadn't even contemplated going but may give it a bash next year all being well. Your lens/TC combo works really well, I can't reach that level of sharpness with my F4 300/1.4TC combo on a Nikon crop body, unless I haven't tuned it in properly ? I'll fiddle with it some mor ethis weekend ;)

It's the step to full frame that's had the most significant impact on detail resolution for me, along with a semi reliable AF system. According to Andy Nikon aren't quite on terms with AF yet but the non AA bodies should really pack away the detail

Great results, especially as taken through the fence, #1 just edges it for me.

Incredible shots. You did well with the fencing, particularly like the shot of Lewis and the red arrows. Was a great show!

Back