More London test

Edit My Images
Yes
This was just a test shot before I return with ten-stopper and tripod but I quite like it. Fuji XT1, 14mm and silver efex pro

15239648480_8673d43724_b.jpg

An interesting shot as it stands Ian, and I guess I'm wondering what benefit you see from using the 10 stopper? I can see that the bright cloud below the sticky-out platform (what is that anyway?) will not be so distracting with the 10 stopper, but I quite like the other coluds being sharp.

I think I am after a blurry-cloud look so the buildings stand out more, but the contrast of the hard angles of the building and the fluffy clouds caught my eye in this one.

The platform thing is a street light, I think.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I had a word with the security guard and he said it would be OK at the weekend as long as I am not being a pain and disrupting people. But given it will be long exposure on a tripod I'll probably apply for a permit - I wouldn't want somebody standing in my front garden taking a picture of my house so it seems only fair.

If this is next to City Hall/ London Bridge I was there a few weeks back on a Saturday, took a few shots and as I left I clocked security walking my way but then I didn't ask.

Last edited:
If this is next to City Hall/ London Bridge I was there a few weeks back on a Saturday, took a few shots and as I left I clocked security walking my way but then I didn't ask.
Yes - that's the place.
Thousands of tourists take photos there every day without hassle, as I have done myself.
There are security people lurking all the time but I've never been spoken to.
However, if you look "professional" or set up a tripod, then you are likely to hassled, as I've seen on several occasions.
I think they tend to use the old "Health and Safety" ticket - causing a trip hazard with a tripod, which is quite reasonable, since it can get really busy there.
I think a lot depends on just how busy it is and probably what mood the "security" staff are in on the day.

I find it easier to have a word with security first. I tell them I'm an amateur and what I'd like to do and see how they react. I think a tripod is the deal-breaker. Use one of those and they are much more likely to take a negative view, especially when it is busy. Given the guards are in part there to enforce H&S rules I don't blame them. The rules might be silly but that isn't their fault. They clearly allow photographers to take shots once they have a permit. There were at least two with tripod set-ups standing in full view and taking their time.

I caught a TV program bemoaning the lack of public land in London and they went to this place to film a segment (knowing it is privately owned) and got moved on by security. But then a full camera crew setting up is likely to provoke a reaction. The guard said that City Hall itself is public land so he recommended they move there.

What difference does a permit make to health and safety! A tripod is still the same hazard weather you've got a piece of paper or not.

Great shot btw!

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

What difference does a permit make to health and safety! A tripod is still the same hazard weather you've got a piece of paper or not.

Great shot btw!

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

I assume it's a liability issue to relieve them of any blame.

I really like the photo, the building looks like it is cutting through the sky the angle is so acute!

funny that I took literally almost the exact same photo on sunday myself!

edit: I shot mine at 16mm, not kidding when I said almost the exact same ha!

Back