Critique More Mirrorless Macro Messing...

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I got a new reversing ring with EF-M mount (52mm filter size) for my Canon EF-M 18-55 STM kit lens today. When I got home I wanted to try it out, so these were taken with the lens reversed at F13 (you have to set the delete button to be a DoF Preview button within the Custom menus to be able to do this) with the flash (90EX) just in the hot shoe. I also got a cheap omnibounce-style diffuser for the flash so put that on, but ovbiously the light isn't as diffused as it could be if I took it off camera and built a better diffuser.

Fly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Cross Spider by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

For some reason I wasn't getting anywhere near the level of magnification @Tintin124 gets with his reversed kit lens setup. I can only guess this is something to do with the distance to the film plane with the EOS-M, as the focal distance of the lens itself should be identical (along with sensor size). I'm not sure what magnification I can achieve - I'll need to shoot a ruler when I can be bothered...

Overall I was quite impressed. I can see some distortion and CA control wasn't too great (although I was able to resolve most of it in post). I processed these as I usually would rather than presenting them SOOC. My other shots are all processed so it made more sense, and they didn't require much PP anyway. This is a very compact solution that would be ideal for chucking in a bag if I was doing a business trip or something and fancied going out exploring rather than being miserable in some hotel room :)

Nice stuff
You will need an extension tube or a the converter to EOS lenses to get the same lens position.

As a fellow mirrorless user I have converter for 4/3 to m4/3 which is just like an auto extension tube but then I also have a cracking EVF in my camera too.

Nice stuff
You will need an extension tube or a the converter to EOS lenses to get the same lens position.

As a fellow mirrorless user I have converter for 4/3 to m4/3 which is just like an auto extension tube but then I also have a cracking EVF in my camera too.

Have you got a pic of the lighting setup? Is it similar to my reversed lighting?

As for magnification you don't really need to worry about that you have ye old MP-E.
Though interestingly when I had the 58mm UV filter on I suffered less CA then without it. Which is kinda backward (pun intended)

Think your right though probably need a little more distance from element to sensor. Have you tried your 550d kit lens on it? :)

Nice stuff

Yeah I was thinking an extension tube might do it, bit concerned that the focal point might be too close to the lens, but I guess there is one way to in out.

Didn't realise you were using mirrorless too. That Olympus is very nice and does indeed have a cracking EVF. Hopefully Canon will deliver that type of functionality at some point (I guess it is inevitable).

Have you got a pic of the lighting setup? Is it similar to my reversed lighting?

No need really, it's just on the hotshoe with one of these on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flash-Bou...ories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item589e92bbf1

In fact, that picture is pretty much all I was using, apart from the lens is on backwards.

As for magnification you don't really need to worry about that you have ye old MP-E.
Yeah but the idea of this setup is to be compact/lightweight and for when I have to leave the MP-E at home ;)
Though interestingly when I had the 58mm UV filter on I suffered less CA then without it. Which is kinda backward (pun intended)

Think your right though probably need a little more distance from element to sensor. Have you tried your 550d kit lens on it? :)
No but I will do when I get round to it. I have the EF-EF-M adaptor so anything is possible!

Didn't realise you were using mirrorless too. That Olympus is very nice and does indeed have a cracking EVF. Hopefully Canon will deliver that type of functionality at some point (I guess it is inevitable).

My macro has improved massively mostly due to the EVF on the E-M1 I reckon. Oly do an EVF that clips onto the the Pens which is the same the VF4.

If you want small macro set up an OMD E-M10 with a 60 f2.8 zuiko is tiny and light.

Back