I went on another short garden safari yesterday and got these

This is from an old birch log ender the bark
Edit is this Vertagopus arboreus

Springtail by alf.branch, on Flickr

from the same place but I did not spot the little one until it was on the PC

Springtail-2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

These were on the bin

Katiannidae by alf.branch, on Flickr

I cannot believe I was shooting at f5.6 for this.

Globby-11 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
You are a risk taker Alf f5.6 brave.

So are you up for us to decend on your garden next year ;)

Why is f5.6 a risk?

Great shots Alf!

Spotted one of the Katianna Nov 1s yesterday in my garden too. Failed miserably to get a decent shot though sadly.

You are a risk taker Alf f5.6 brave.

So are you up for us to decend on your garden next year ;)

Ahh well f5.6 was the result of not paying attention.

My garden is so small it would not take many and SWMBO would not like it I am sure. I also live in a far away place.

Nice set of images Alf, with some good detail.(y)

George.

Why is f5.6 a risk?

Great shots Alf!

Spotted one of the Katianna Nov 1s yesterday in my garden too. Failed miserably to get a decent shot though sadly.

Thanks Mark I am struggling at the moment with ID I must say. Pity you missed yours though.

I'm so jealous. Despite hunting for them I have yet to find one in my garden. Better go to Specsavers I suppose.

Its not easy but once you find one it becomes easier. They are easier to see on things like the bin or green leaves especially when things are a bit wet.

Nice set of images Alf, with some good detail.(y)

George.

Thanks George

I'm so jealous. Despite hunting for them I have yet to find one in my garden. Better go to Specsavers I suppose.

Where are you looking under wet piles of leaves on the ground is best place to start shine a torch on the area move a leaf and your eye should catch some specks jumping around that will be them.

There are a few higher due to the moist conditions for instance they like the top of my fences but they are few and far between compared to the ground level ones.

You are hunting for creatures below 6mm big here. With most here between 1-4mm big :D

Is it pretty much night time then that you find them with less joy (chance) during the day?

Is it pretty much night time then that you find them with less joy (chance) during the day?

Nope they are available all day long... if you want nice bokeh day time shooting is generally better. Though night time much be easier to see the white spots jumping around.

Every springtail shot I have taken has been between 10 am and 4pm

Every springtail shot I have taken has been between 10 am and 4pm
I have just found my 1st globys last night but this morning there was just a few about in the same place, within a little while the sun was shining on this place and globys had gone but within 12-15 inches there was a similar place but in the shade and a few globys about, so imo you will find them out of the sun where it's damper.

Brilliant images Alf and I agree with the possible ID (although only based on some similar looking ones I've had ID'd)

In my experience you have good days and bad days when finding springtails. I went out again yesterday to the same spot I found loads a couple of days before. This time I found some but I had to look harder for them, and they weren't around in such large numbers. Weather conditions were almost identical (it was maybe a few degrees colder) and it was the same time of day...

Back