Critique Morocco | Photo workshop

Name
Amanda Herbert
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I took the plunge and booked a photo tour with Suzanne Porter (link to tripadvisor review).

I was secretly quite confident about my skills until I arrived and then found I was woefully out of practice. Nerves made my hands shake and I couldn't even remember how to change the shutter speed!

The first set of images show how much improvement Suzanne's tuition made, within a couple of frames she'd taught me to see the light and push myself to create a narrative within the scene.

I've purposely not edited these photos.

#1 Learning to find the best light
Morocco | Street Portraits by M@ndy, on Flickr

#2 Learning to choose the correct shutter speed

#3 Learning to create blur

#4 Learning to compose thoughtfully

Last edited:
I won't bore you to death, so I'm sharing my favourite photos in this photo-a-day forum here (aminus3 blog).

Here is how I traditionally approach portraits abroad using my set editing for travel photography. I'm sure this will change as I plough through 2550 plus photos!

#5 Paid street performer - it took a week for me to pluck up the courage to ask!
Morocco | Street Portrait by M@ndy, on Flickr

#6 I should have used a tighter crop in camera

#7 Suzanne challenged me to create a photo story using this chap. Once I'm caught up on life, I'll put together my first draft.

Last edited:
Looks like you had a both enjoyable and beneficial trip, like the 'craggy' faces :)

Looking forward to seeing more. It's hard for some to concentrate fully when shooting strangers in a context like this. It is for me anyway!

I really love some of these, I sailed there this summer on my boat, and wandered around doing candids. Here's some of mine if you're interested: http://www.lightphonics.co.uk/Gallery/Morocco/
How did you go about taking your pictures? I find it a bit of a tricky area as lots of people are not keen on having their photo taken

Thank you for sharing your lovely photos, Mandy

Taken on my last day when I was able to anticipate the moment unfolding.

I don't even like cats, but they seemed to be every where so I took quite a few!

A paid street performer. I asked him to move towards the sun to attempt atmospheric lighting on his face.

I thought I was focusing on the tattoos, but the girl shared she'd just got engaged and this was her ring.

Back