Moth's at the abbey

Edit My Images
Yes
Planned to see the Lancaster's at Woburn, but as many of you will know, they were cancelled for alot of Sunday due to poor weather.

Still went to Woburn, managed a few shots, but this is my first 'air show', so I wasn't expecting much. Reasonably happy with the results, but I'm now eyeing up a 300mm f4 L.....

C&C welcome, all shot on 600D, EF-S 55-250 IS. Started on Tv at 1/200 iso 100(going for prop blur) but I found the camera was under exposing planes in the air against the brights white clouds, so went manual and adjusted the aperture with the light levels, the meter was reading a good 3 stops over exposed but I was happier with the results.

I presume the only way to fight this is to shoot raw and expose on the limit of clipping the whites in the sky, then pull the plane back in PP?

All had a crop, from slight, to reasonably heavy, and light PP.
Click for full size and a few more on my photobucket.

Thanks for looking, I had a great day and took hundreds of photos.

300mm will help a lot, i use one on my nikon. For a 1st airshow you should be pleased with the results.

Thanks.

I'm reasonably pleased, especially with 5&7, think I got a good pan going on for those two.

I kept switching between IS on and off, and accidently had it on for a few panning shots.

I'm pretty sold on the 300mm f4, so that's on the 'getting when I've saved up' list, plus a 1.4 tc, I'd love a 2.8 but in no way can I justify the price, plus the weight puts me off. Also fancy a 70-200mm f4 to compliment the 300.

Saving those pennies!

Don't canon do a 100-400? That may be good? Don't need 2.8 IMO. On a nice day even at 100 ISO you may be at f11 to keep shutter low enough for prop blur. 300mm f4 on Nikon is excellent although can sometimes be too long or too short, iq is excellent.

I've looked at the 100-400, but I'd hate to drop £8-900 on a lens and be disappointed with the IQ, hence I'm looking at primes. The 100-400 is very tempting, but I have a 55-250 as a walk about, and the 300 plus 1.4 TC puts it at 420/5.6, then I'd look at the 70-200/4 for when I need a faster aperture at 200mm.

Is your 300mm on a FF or crop?

Last edited:
I think you have some nice images. What I word look at ice composition. Things need space to move into so give them that space. Maybe it's a to right crop

Thanks, most of the cropping was done to remove distractions, but I understand what you mean, I appreciate the feedback.

A lot of aircraft photographers use the 100-400mm L and Canon are rumoured to be introducing a new model in september. Might be worth looking at, that is if Canon don't hike the price up too much.

Back