MOTOR BIKE RACE SETTINGS

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to my first motorbike race the Ulster Grand Prix and need advice on most suitable lenses and camera settings. I have the D300 with 70-200 f2.8VR AND 70-300 VR. Thinking of getting a 300f4 nikon - would I need a TC and if so 1.4 or 1.7. Will this work with 300F4?:bang::bonk:

The D300 and 70-200 VR will be a very good combination and if you need the extra length go for a 1.7 converter. desantnik is a member on here and I'm sure he uses this combination and his results are fantastic. A recent thread of his and check his sig at the bottom.

I'll be up with my 300 f4 and 70-200 f2.8 and I guess all my pics will be with the 300 f4.

Depending on how the bikes in from of you are, if you are getting them face on then the widest aperture will be best to blur out the background. If you are panning then something around 1/200th to 1/250th will be about right.

Yes I'd agree with Mike, 200mm will probably be enough especially at a road circuit such as the UGP at Dundrod. However I found that since getting a Canon 300F4 which I use with a 40D the 70 - 200 stays in the bag more often than not. It just gives you more options I think to have it in your armoury.

Whilst I've been to the UGP a few times my photographic experience there is very limited. It's not disimilar to the Isle of Man TT Course of which I have more knowledge and the kit you propose will fit the bill perfectly. In general Dundrod is renowned for it's high speed and super quick lap times. Although it's nearly 8 miles in length the riders are sent off in two groups so after a lap or two there's very little time before another rider closes into view.

If you find yourself at the Lindsay Hairpin the 200 will be more than enough you can get quite close to the action there. It's the slowest corner on the circuit and access is very good, you can also move locations between races at the discretion of the marshals.

Weather permitting it'll be a great day, enjoy.

The D300 and 70-200 VR will be a very good combination and if you need the extra length go for a 1.7 converter. desantnik is a member on here and I'm sure he uses this combination and his results are fantastic.

Hehehe thanks for the big up (y)

I don't often use that combo really. I think I've done it twice and only got good results once. If you must stick a TC on make sure its a good bright (ish) day and ideally use a 1.4x not the 1.7x and definitely not the 2x!!!

The thread you highlighted I was actually using the Nikkor 300 f4.

With bikes its not very often you'll see me with the 70-200VR in use, unless its MX or you can get stupidly close (not very often even with a media pass to be honest, well, not unless you just want side on pans... :nono:) Usually I'm shooting the 300 f4 with or without TC's - without is much better...

If/when I can afford it, I'll be punting for a Nikkor 300 2.8, thats the daddy when it comes to motorsport really... chuck some TC's in the bag and you are sorted.

But anyway, the ideal motorsport kit bag is a 70-200 like you have, a 300 prime (f2.8 if you are rich) and some TC's for when you are desperate. Just make sure you take all of that out with you and change to whatever you need for the shot as you find it.

Sorry, to answer your question directly - yes the 1.4x and 1.7x work perfectly with a Nikkor 300f4 and D300.

I first started with a 70-300 VR after taking advice from an ex BSB pro tog(1. 70-300 VR 2. 300 f4 3. sigma 100-300 f4 were my list of possibles). I chose the 70-300 VR mainly because of budget, but since I found the classified section I've added the sigma 70-200 2.8 and 100-300 f4 :D. If budget was'nt my first concern I would go for the nikkor 300 f4 as the prime will outshine all the zooms.

Thanks guys thats all very useful chat - looks like the 300f4 would be a good investment. The only thing is it does not have VR - does this matter. As a distraction, would the 300f4 also be good at air displays?:bang:

IMHO, VR is useless for what I do. (there is a thread about VR on here where I go to great lengths to prove my point too!). I'll be honest, I did worry to start with but definitely I am in the "no VR" camp now.

Useful for airshows? Well a lot of the "low fly" boys have used them until they can afford a 300 f2.8...

My own experience when I used my former Canon gear was that at (proper) airshows 300mm could be too long for anything of any size when it came along the display line - perhaps when it was further away it was fine. Probably what you really need is a decent zoom for that, maybe the Nikkor 200-400!

Back