Moving to Fuji - XT1 lens choices

Edit My Images
No
Almost certain i am going to move from a Canon 70D to a fuji system. Image quality should be similar, size and weight savings significant. Can't afford to buy all the lenses I want in one go so need to prioritise.

Main uses - Landscape, Travel, Portraits, will buy a longer lens eventually for wildlife but not important to begin.

Landscape - 14mm or the 10-24? - 14 is smaller, faster although not really needed for landscape as would probably be on a tripod.

Walk around - 35mm? 23 looks good but expensive and quite close to the 14 or 10-24

Portrait - 56mm, the 50-140 looks good as well but quite large and expensive.

Any thoughts on which way to go?

What do you use on the 70D for the same things now? Since getting the Samyang 12mm I have used nothing but that and the 55-200!

Don't discount the 18-55mm, very good quality and in my opinion comparable to the Canon 17-55mm.

Can't comment on the 10-24, but the 14mm is excellent, not too big and conveniently uses the same hood as the 18-55

Sure the 55-200 is also very good, but fully extended is the same length as the Canon 70-200 f/4. Seems to defeat the object of a smaller lighter set up. Same reason put me off the 18-135 even though I had the 250 quid off voucher

If I were to buy another lens reckon it will be the 23mm, roughly the same as a 35mm on FF which suits me better than the equivalent 50mm or so that the Fuji 35mm would give

Last edited:
I'm using the three original primes with mine. 18mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4 and the 60mm f/2.4 :)

I'm also using a Sigma 10-20 with a Fotodiox adapter to good effect and I'm going to add the 140-400 when it hits the shops next year (I hope). :)

From experience, the XF10-24 is stunning as is the 14mm (although I ended up selling it to go back to the 18mm).

I think my ultimate kit would be 14,23,56,50-140.

Perhaps the 23 makes the most sense to start with, wide enough for some landscape work, good walkabout length and not too bad for some full length, environmental portraits.

The 18-55 does appear to be significantly better than the kit lenses orfother makes, I am not a big fan of variable aperture and I know I will want to sell it eventually but it is quite cheap when bought as part of a kit.

I think my ultimate kit would be 14,23,56,50-140.

Perhaps the 23 makes the most sense to start with, wide enough for some landscape work, good walkabout length and not too bad for some full length, environmental portraits.

The 18-55 does appear to be significantly better than the kit lenses orfother makes, I am not a big fan of variable aperture and I know I will want to sell it eventually but it is quite cheap when bought as part of a kit.

As an all rounder you will struggle to beat the 23. Such a good lens.

I don't think fuji has made a bad lens so all suggested combinations are good choices. I prefer primes so typically use 14mm, 35mm and 56mm but I've the 18mm in a bag somewhere and I've just got a 23mm which is lovely but not a focal length I really like.

I came from a Canon set up and think the 14mm is better than any wide primes I could get from Canon, the 35mm is as good as the Canon 50/1.4 (with better build quality) and the 56mm is almost but not quite a match for the 85/1.2

Reactions: Nod
Have to agree with the sentiments about Fuji lenses. The kit lens, 18-55, that came with my camera was very very good, but I have to say, having picked up the 10-24 and 23 yesterday (56 yet to arrive), that I am blown away by them both.

I enjoy my 70D but I think the lens options on a crop sensor Fuji wins hands down, There is nothing in the wide range like a 14 or 10-24 from Canon that I think compares. My other option is to go FF with a 6D but any lens I like the look of is so much heavier and bulkier.

Its deciding between the 23 and the 18-55 I think for now. I do like to shoot as wide open as possible therefore the primes appeal a lot more. I can get a XT1 new from Panamoz for about £700, so depending on what I get for the sale of my 70D 18-135 and 35mm Art I think I should have in the region of £400 plus £200 or so form myself. Stretches to one prime or a zoom and some change for now.......,decisions.

I enjoy my 70D but I think the lens options on a crop sensor Fuji wins hands down, There is nothing in the wide range like a 14 or 10-24 from Canon that I think compares. My other option is to go FF with a 6D but any lens I like the look of is so much heavier and bulkier.

Its deciding between the 23 and the 18-55 I think for now. I do like to shoot as wide open as possible therefore the primes appeal a lot more. I can get a XT1 new from Panamoz for about £700, so depending on what I get for the sale of my 70D 18-135 and 35mm Art I think I should have in the region of £400 plus £200 or so form myself. Stretches to one prime or a zoom and some change for now.......,decisions.

There's a bulk buy being discussed on this thread (http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/fuji-new-discount-offer-up-to-£600-off.561746/#post-6505248) to take advantage of the lens discounts currently being offered by Fuji. Might be worth having a look....

The 23mm is probably Fuji's sharpest lens in the set and is well worth considering. It's fast and this optical quality is superb. As far as zooms go the 18-55mm isn't a slouch either and is a quality lens. This is not to be confused with the Canon or Nikon standard of kits lenses.

I like my zooms as those i have a couple of the primes,so for me the list would be 18-55mm then the 65-200mm and later the 10-24 :)

If you feel you might need the weather sealing, the 18-135 is ATM the only option available (and is a great range for general use.) The 18-55 is possibly marginally sharper but I doubt you'd notice at normal print sizes. It is significantly smaller though but loses a lot of reach. the 55-200 adds reach but loses the wide angles!
If I had to choose just one lens for my X-T1, it would be the 18-135. Wide enough for almost any normal uses and enough reach for most travel type shots and certainly good enough in between for portraits! Not sure what deals are about on Fuji kit currently but that could make a difference.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, mainly using old Pentax manual film cameras, with nearly all lenses having a filter size of 49mm. But for a company that is supposed to think about the needs of the photographer, it's rather shocking to look at the number of different filter sizes, from 39mm to 72mm, in use in such a comparatively small range of lenses! Several filter sizes are used on only one lens, and few filter sizes have more than 2 lenses. I suppose the answer is step-up rings, but it all seems a bit of a PITA!

I have just bought the 23 from the forums.

Now...filters, any suggestions for a decent kit without breaking the bank. Ideally after a few ND filters and a 10 stop.

I went for Hitech Grads with a Lee foundation kit holder when i shot canon, but with the right rings they also now fit my Fuji setup. 18-55 / 14 / 55-200

I'm quite new to my Fuji X-Pro 1, I mainly shoot landscape photography. My camera bag has these Fuji lenses;

XF 10-24mm --- XF 35mm --- 55-200mm --- XF 60mm

Presently trying to sell my XF 18mm as I've just did a deal on the XF 10-24mm lens, I'd though about purchasing the XF 14mm prime recently which is an excellent lens, but I think I'll use the XF 10-24mm more due to its zoom versatility.

Hope this info is helpful.

Regards;
Peter

Back