MPB - Good Camera - Bad Battery

Depends on nothing ,If I bought a camera from
A company new or used I would expect the proper battery ,if I buy 3rd party ones after then that's my choice and I know the risks .

6622145, member: 14523"]depends on the battery. i always used 3rd party (7dayshop equivs) in my 20D and 5dmk2 with no bother.

only genuines i have are for the 1D as MBP had a deal on them once.[/QUOTE]

Who says he's refusing to update us? He's not a prolific poster, so maybe he is awaiting the outcome before updating us.
I sometimes log onto the site at work and check for post updates etc, but don't always have time to post.
Also, his original post was hardly a real slating for mpb. He even mentioned the great service that he's received in the past.
You're the one being unreasonable in my opinion.

I have to agree to be on honest, reading it all, he DID state good service in general and hardly a rant at all....considering some of the rants on here and over anything and everything

To be fair the poor bugger probably doesn't want to come back in here either

Depends on nothing ,If I bought a camera from
A company new or used I would expect the proper battery ,if I buy 3rd party ones after then that's my choice and I know the risks .

6622145, member: 14523"]depends on the battery. i always used 3rd party (7dayshop equivs) in my 20D and 5dmk2 with no bother.

only genuines i have are for the 1D as MBP had a deal on them once.
[/QUOTE]
depends what the advert said.

And I bet it didn't say comes with only 1 battery And it's a 3rd party one

I have to agree to be on honest, reading it all, he DID state good service in general and hardly a rant at all....considering some of the rants on here and over anything and everything

To be fair the poor bugger probably doesn't want to come back in here either

Yeah, I wouldnt blame him if he didnt appear in this thread again.

I am a bit with the OP myself it wasn't a big rant,and maybe when you buy a camera you would like to work,inc the battery :)

Last edited:
im just saying that not even the OP can remember whether the advert said OEM or 3rd party battery. so we cannot make the assumption that MBP were wrong or misleading by including a 3rd party battery in the camera :)

I can't imagine why the OP wouldn't come back here, after getting such a warm a friendly reception...

im just saying that not even the OP can remember whether the advert said OEM or 3rd party battery. so we cannot make the assumption that MBP were wrong or misleading by including a 3rd party battery in the camera :)
Yes fair enough , although I still think its bad form for any company to sell a camera with any battery other than the "correct one" (as canon/nikon etc would call it )

I don't understand those saying the don't think the OP will come back to the thread, nobody has been mean or rude to him, what many have said in a polite way that they think it were I'll judged to start a thread like this before giving the supplier chance to rectify the situation...there's no reason what so ever for the OP not to revisit the thread with a conclusion to the situation

Yes fair enough , although I still think its bad form for any company to sell a camera with any battery other than the "correct one" (as canon/nikon etc would call it )
like i said earlier, the camera is a 5 year old model. the original would be long dead (average Li-Ion life seems to be 3-4 years).

IF they stated it came with a 3rd party battery than thats fair game, or if they stated OEM and supplied 3rd party incorrectly then thats misleading but again we're back to assumptions :D

if they swapped every battery out for a brand new OEM then their prices would increase accordingly.

in my experience having bought a few things from them MPB have always listed items accurately and down to the last detail/slight defect. thats not to say they are incapable of making a mistake, we're all human :)

Reactions: BBR
In his profile he describes himself as a Retail and IT Director.
Is this not a strange way for someone in such an apparently responsible position to behave?
I wonder what his Facebook page is like?

Crikey ladies, why don't we wait for him to get back in touch before we all go off assuming etc?!

Matthew, I did not miss your point at all,

But he is perfectly entitled to state on this forum his experience. How long should he wait before posting? 36 hrs, 48 hrs, 2 weeks? You can see how silly that can become. And really, do you see this as being a 'very negative report'? Perhaps you are being a little touch on the matter.

I cannot understand why you wish to restrict a consumer posting their factual experiences on a forum of which they are a member. He has been clear on the timelines and has been nothing but factual on the exact nature of the problem he has encountered and the timeless involved.

I would be very worried if merchants were to dictate the terms of when and where consumers can post their experiences.

Sure he is, but as an online retailer myself, there is nothing worse than a bad review plastered all over the Internet before you've been given an opportunity to resolve a problem.

Problems happen, mistakes are made, no business is perfect, but to leave a bad review before giving a company sufficient time to resolve the problem, is in poor taste.

In his profile he describes himself as a Retail and IT Director.
Is this not a strange way for someone in such an apparently responsible position to behave?
I wonder what his Facebook page is like?

ok, i think that is enough attacking him too, you are sounding like someone on a personal vendetta now, so wind it in please.

depends on the battery. i always used 3rd party (7dayshop equivs) in my 20D and 5dmk2 with no bother.

only genuines i have are for the 1D as MBP had a deal on them once.

And having bought your 20D from you via the classifieds I'm still using those third party batteries in my 40D (the 20 having been sold on with one battery), they seem as good as the originals (actually better as canon batteries seem not to live as long as the third party ones in my experience)

With regard to the OP - if MPB took the camera in part ex , or as second hand buy then it stands to reason that they will sell it on with the same battery it came with (especially as the advet didnt specify otherwise).

The other thing that stands out is that it arrived' fully charged' but went flat quickly - that can happen with batteries that have been sat 'fully charged' for a long time... the question is did it hold its charge after the OP recharged it ?

Last edited:
Having read this thread all the way through it would be good to get an update and also update the opening post with the outcome as many don't read all the way through the thread.

I do have sympathy for the OP as I've also been in this situation when buying a second hand camera. I purchased a nikon D7000 and the first time out at BWC the memory card corrupted towards the end of the day and I lost all the images. Thankfully they were imaged I could probably repeat unlike the OPs situation with Santa and his child. My fault was caused by a memory card slot issue and meant I couldnt use the camera without the possibly of corrupting a card or it not recognising a card. The company (London Cameras Exchange Leamington Spa) were fantastic, they offered repair, replacement or a full refund. At the time the D7000 was impossible to get hold of due to the floods in Thailand so they offered repairing the D7000 and then the possibility of exchanging it for a replacement new D7000 when stock arrived or another second hand D7000 if they got one in, in the mean time I could use it and get a full refund when I went with the replacement, I couldn't say fairer than that. I ended up going with only the repair as it all worked fine and I was very happy with the camera once it was working properly. Due to this customer service I've been back to LCE in Leamington Spa even though it's over an hour from me.

I can see the point other posters have said about MPB not having a chance to properly respond. Although the OP did send an email a response is unlikely to be straight away as emails may not be read straight away. The problem with forums is that it's easy to give a company a bad reputation (whether it's justified or not). If you do a google search like 'MPB bad camera' or 'MPB poor service' this thread comes up on the first page of search results.

I hope MPB have sorted this out for the OP as it's a pain when it doesn't work straight away but at least it's just a new battery and won't need to go away for repair. Lets hope he gets back to update the thread with some nice photos he's taken with the camera once the battery is sorted out.

Last edited:
Having read this thread all the way through it would be good to get an update and also update the opening post with the outcome as many don't read all the way through the thread.

I do have sympathy for the OP as I've also been in this situation when buying a second hand camera. I purchased a nikon D7000 and the first time out at BWC the memory card corrupted towards the end of the day and I lost all the images. Thankfully they were imaged I could probably repeat unlike the OPs situation with Santa and his child. My fault was caused by a memory card slot issue and meant I couldnt use the camera without the possibly of corrupting a card or it not recognising a card. The company (London Cameras Exchange Leamington Spa) were fantastic, they offered repair, replacement or a full refund. At the time the D7000 was impossible to get hold of due to the floods in Thailand so they offered repairing the D7000 and then the possibility of exchanging it for a replacement new D7000 when stock arrived or another second hand D7000 if they got one in, in the mean time I could use it and get a full refund when I went with the replacement, I couldn't say fairer than that. I ended up going with only the repair as it all worked fine and I was very happy with the camera once it was working properly. Due to this customer service I've been back to LCE in Leamington Spa.

I can see the point other posters have said about MPB not having a chance to properly respond. Although the OP did send an email a response is unlikely to be straight away as emails may not be read straight away. The problem with forums is that it's easy to give a company a bad reputation (whether it's justified or not). If you do a google search like 'MPB bad camera' or 'MPB poor service' this thread comes up on the first page of search results.

I hope MPB have sorted this out for the OP as it's a pain when it doesn't work straight away but at least it's just a new battery and won't need to go away for repair. Lets hope he gets back to update the thread with some nice photos he's taken with the camera once the battery is sorted out.

The guys at LCE Leamington are simply fantastic I've never had anything but exceptional service from them (y)

to be fair Ive never had anything but exceptional service from MPB either - one reason this thread comes up on page 1 of a google for MPV poor service is that its a very small pool of complaints vs happy customers. Excepting Trollb I can't remember the last time before this we saw a complaint about them

to be fair Ive never had anything but exceptional service from MPB either - one reason this thread comes up on page 1 of a google for MPV poor service is that its a very small pool of complaints vs happy customers. Excepting Trollb I can't remember the last time before this we saw a complaint about them

The same here, so far good service. Recently I even visited their office in Brighton to drop off a lens I was selling to them, no problem at all. Sorry I wasn't clear with the bit about the google search. What I meant was currently it seems a bit too early to say if this was a negative review/poor service as they have not been given time to respond properly. Some may do those searches, only read a few of the thread responses and not get the full picture. If you are selling second hand items it's only natural there may be some issues such as these with batteries.

When it comes to carrying batteries for anything, 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I have learnt this the hard way when stuck in a dark field with a dead torch!

Reactions: BBR
When it comes to carrying batteries for anything, 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I have learnt this the hard way when stuck in a dark field with a dead torch!

Exceptional advice and why I own 10 x OEM LP-E6 for my camera...never normally use more than a single pair in a nights shooting, but I'd hate to run out of power :p

Back