MPB Photographic

Edit My Images
No
A quick thumbs up to MPB - I have recently sold them a lens. Transaction completed within days from quote - free collection - to payment into my bank account. Superb service.

Al

Hi Al - so, you were offered a reasonable price? Have you ever bought from them?

I haven't bought from them, no.

The price offered for my lens was very fair in my opinion.

Al

I tried to sell my 500D to them a few years back when it was time to upgrade. The price point was poor, but better than most. Just as I was about to finalise the deal and set a collection date, he stated that I would not get the money until 'a few days after' collection. When I offered to drop it off to him, he refused, and said collection was 'the only way'. My alarm bells started to ring.

I've read some good things about it on here though - maybe next time I shouldn't be so sceptical.

Anyway, in the end I sold the 500D for quite a bit more than he offered on eBay!

Glad you had a successful transaction though, thanks for posting your good experience, it has made me trust MPB a bit more.

Cheers,

Sid.

Last edited:
Have both bought and sold to them, and always got a good deal. Although I got less for the lenses I sold than I would have on here, I felt the hassle of uploading photos, answering questions, packing and posting were worth the price difference. Would use them again any time.

I have sold and bought from them as well. I didn't realise at first that they were my local online camera shop. I found them very helpful and offered the best price for my camera gear in comparison to other traders.

They were ok with me dropping and collecting gear, whether its because I was buying expensive equipment from them or because I live one mile away I don't know?

All in all, I would deal with them again with no hesitation

Yup, I've bought and sold with them many times. No problem with dropping off or picking up in person (but pickup is free, so I've not bothered). Payment a few days after collection isn't suprising. It takes a day for it to be delivered, then they've got to examine it, make sure it works, list all the bits, etc.

I've dealt with them on a number of occasions now. Really can't find any fault with them. Top company

I sold my 5D2 and L lenses with them last year, great service.

But was surprised to find out out they don't buy m43 lenses this week, even though they sell them used

Last edited:
I sold my 5D2 and L lenses with them last year, great service.

But was surprised to find out out they don't buy m43 lenses this week, even though they sell them used

That's strange, I sold a few to them not that long ago iirc.

They seem to turn them over pretty quickly (particularly the primes), I could understand if they didn't want to touch another 14-42 or 45-200 though.

Hi Julian,

I have checked our records here and it seems that the email that you received on Monday was sent in error - we do apologise for this.
I can confirm that we do purchase all m43 lenses - would it be ok if we sent you over pricing this morning?

MPB Photographic

I bought my first camera with them and a few lenses. Usually offer the best S/H prices, I was happy with my dealings with them. I would have bought my 50d with them but they seemed to have a bought of them when i wanted to buy. I bought that from Clifton Camera who were also very good.

I have used them a couple of time and although I had a problem with a lens they sorted it quickly and were very helpful.

Hi Julian,

I have checked our records here and it seems that the email that you received on Monday was sent in error - we do apologise for this.
I can confirm that we do purchase all m43 lenses - would it be ok if we sent you over pricing this morning?

MPB Photographic

Many thanks, just got your follow up email. I'll be in touch thanks :)

I like their site usually, but today they had a lens up, I get the bank card out to buy it, refresh the page and its gone up £500.

I bought a lens last week on there described as coming in the original box, just came in bubblewrap in the usual brown box, and the front cap was a rubbish 3rd party thing that was impossible to get off with the hood in place. Was offered a refund of the postage but sent it back for a refund last week. Still waiting on the refund, on chasing it up (they never acknowledged receipt) they said it was processed Monday but can take 2 working days to clear :shrug:

i just bought a 1d mkiii from mpb described as mint- and i'm sure the listing said it came in its original box. it turns up minus the box and with a significant dent on the top housing. now i didnt get a screen grab of the listing to argue over the box but i am worried about possible internal damage due to this dent.

i am worried about possible internal damage due to this dent.

What internal damage do you think may be present that would not manifest itself in the warranty period? If you're unhappy with your purchase I'm sure MPB will arrange a refund if you return it.

What internal damage do you think may be present that would not manifest itself in the warranty period? If you're unhappy with your purchase I'm sure MPB will arrange a refund if you return it.

fair point, but i just dont know how tightly these things are packaged in that area. if theres nothing undelying the dent then it'll probably not be an issue. ideally, i'd like to see a schematic for the camera.

i just bought a 1d mkiii from mpb described as mint- and i'm sure the listing said it came in its original box. it turns up minus the box and with a significant dent on the top housing. now i didnt get a screen grab of the listing to argue over the box but i am worried about possible internal damage due to this dent.

I very much doubt something graded as mint- would have a dent in it, sounds like they got it mixed up with another one - I'd get in touch, they acknowledged the mistake with my order when I contacted them. I didn't get a screen grab either but found the listing on google - not that I needed it mind you.

Send it back, i once had a 70-200mm from Matt and it arrived with the VR internals broken, a quick email and Matt took it back and issued a full refund, its not always about having a good sale, its also about how they deal with it when something goes wrong and MBP are aong the very best

Send it back, i once had a 70-200mm from Matt and it arrived with the VR internals broken, a quick email and Matt took it back and issued a full refund, its not always about having a good sale, its also about how they deal with it when something goes wrong and MBP are aong the very best

top marks to mpb, they've offered me a choice of:
refund
exchange
discount off purchase price

cant ask for more

Big thumbs up to Matt, Rich and Olivier @ MPB, sold a fair amount to them, valuations are quickly done, collections are scheduled, drivers always on time and usually paid next working day. They obviously offer less than private sales, they are a business after all and also offer warranty on their used items.

Last edited:
Another happy MPB user here. I've bought both new and used equipment from them and part-ex'd gear with them several times. Prices are usually good, their part-ex allowances are pretty fair and the used stuff has always been in the same, or usually better, condition than described on the site. Quick delivery and turn around on part-ex too. Top company in my book. (y)

i bought a canon 1d iii from them recently, while contact was good, my camera was left floating round the box with polystyrene chips loosely round it, took photos of the bashed box in case of problems,very poor considering over 700 pounds of hard earned cash to buy this...

i bought a canon 1d iii from them recently, while contact was good, my camera was left floating round the box with polystyrene chips loosely round it, took photos of the bashed box in case of problems,very poor considering over 700 pounds of hard earned cash to buy this...

That's how mine arrived too. The damaged camera could have been caused by the charger loose in the box.
ps. That was a good price, recent going rate for that camera is approx £900

I've used MPB a few times (and about to again). The prices offered are below that of a private sale (as you would expect), but are better than those offered by other dealers.
Good, efficient service too.

I bought a 5d mark 2 from them not so long ago (23734)
Generally good service and it was quick to dispatch. I would probably say that they need to check their gear more since the supplied battery charger has never worked, and the shutter count was incorrect (though still low just not as low as they said)

to me they are not massive issues, but to others thats a deal breaker.

Last edited:
My opinion of them is a bit mixed. My wife bought a second hand GF1 from them. It came without a power lead for the battery charger, the manual and CD was for the GX1 not the GF1 and there's loads of dust and a hair underneath the LCD screen. They were good enough to send me a power lead and are keeping an eye out for a paper manual. Yes I've downloaded one but it's still nice to have the paper one for reference. I didn't mention the dust as we'll just put up with it. I just wish they'd seen it and mentioned it before we bought it. Obviously they didn't see it.

I think they just need to be more thorough before they post kit out and look at the kit more closely for issues such as the dust behind the screen.

Last edited:
Another happy customer (well seller, to be exact)

After reading reviews I contacted them about a price to purchase my 200-400 Nikon lens, which I found a tad heavy to lug around & tbh I've hardly used.

They responded quickly & I gave an honest description. They asked for a couple of pics & where originally purchased.
Price was offered & agreed.
DPD collected the following day. (thurs before Easter B'holiday w/end)
They notified receipt & checked on Tues.
My bank acct credited with funds today.

Really good & prompt communication. Very pleased with their service. :cool:

I have had several prices from them for kit i wanted to sell but the offers were always very low. Usually about 60% of what i finally sold the items for.

Don't think i will bother in future.

I have had several prices from them for kit i wanted to sell but the offers were always very low. Usually about 60% of what i finally sold the items for.

Don't think i will bother in future.

Thats fairly par for the course with any dealer part ex - obviously they've got to buy the kit for less than its worth on the open market so that they make a profit when they move it on

on the flip side with a decent dealer like mpb you don't have all the hassle and agravation of private sales no strangers coming to your house, no disputes aboutt value or haggling, no disputes about condtion or people trying to pull a fast one

Thats fairly par for the course with any dealer part ex - obviously they've got to buy the kit for less than its worth on the open market so that they make a profit when they move it on

on the flip side with a decent dealer like mpb you don't have all the hassle and agravation of private sales no strangers coming to your house, no disputes aboutt value or haggling, no disputes about condtion or people trying to pull a fast one

I have no objections to them making a profit but I find their offer prices a lot lower than the prices they sell the same items at. I think their mark ups are excessive.

Never had any of the problems you quote selling on any forum. Unless someone is desperate for a sale they will get much more selling through the forum. i for one will stick to the forum in future.

Last edited:
Never had any of the problems you quote selling on any forum so i will stickto the forum in future.

Take a look at the disputed trades section

personally i do sell stuff privately but i only ever do cash on collection for expensive items, which avoids most of the hassle - times ive part exed stuff with MPB its been about 20-25% off what they'd sell it for - which is reasonable given that they are assuming the risk of it going pop the day after you sell it to them (and offering a warranty to prosepective buyers)

Take a look at the disputed trades section

personally i do sell stuff privately but i only ever do cash on collection for expensive items, which avoids most of the hassle - times ive part exed stuff with MPB its been about 20-25% off what they'd sell it for - which is reasonable given that they are assuming the risk of it going pop the day after you sell it to them (and offering a warranty to prosepective buyers)

I suspect that disputed sales are a small percentage of all sales. The majority of sales through the forum seem to be very successful. I also suspect not everyone is happy with their purchases from MPB.

If a buyer is careful in selecting sellers with strong feedback i believe that any risk can be minimised.

We all have the right to decide where and how we sell our kit.

I also suspect not everyone is happy with their purchases from MPB.

Correct, bought a Gitzo tripod that had sand/grit in the lower leg locks and no tools to enable me to tighten up the base mount.

Didn't even get the return postage back, only a few quid I know, but still wouldn't do business with them again

The offer I agreed with MPB was £400 more than I was offered by my local dealership.
The other thing is, they paid for collection & will probably pay for delivery to a new buyer + have to offer at least some warranty, therefore taking a calculated risk & f it doesn't sell quickly they have a lot of money tied up in dead stock. If they sell for 25-30% more than I got, I wouldn't call it excessive tbh. It's a business with overheads.

Last edited:
have to say i'm in the not happy camp, bought a lens described as mint and frankly it was terrible, chips on lens loads of internal dust, even finger marks over the glass. Yes i could return it with only minor hassle but i'm appalled to see that it was marked as mint and made it through quality control.

I was offered £400 for a mint boxed 7D with 12000 actuations by MPB. Their cheapest 7D was just under £600 at the time with a lot more activations. A mark up of 50%. I suspect mine would have sold for more. I call that excessive.

I sold the camera on here for £530 ish. I received an extra £130 on the sale and the buyer saved at least £70. To me the maths speak for themselves. Unless you need a quick sale the forum wins every time.

Back