Mundane Randoms-a thread for anything mundane/random to outright bizarre...

Thank you for the various comments on the 'Bauble on a wet Wednesday afternoon' image.

I was in the same place this afternoon and was similarly inspired and I hope to post the results sometime soon - going away for a few days so may not be till Saturday or even after

OK so here is one of the pictures I took. As it is still daylight you will realise that it is earlier in the day (and our visit) so I hadn't had as much 'inspiration' when I took it

1249-1385835105-827b63f1e2c063e691e8697b0c282988.jpg

One thing I dont' get - don't know if anyone can help me .......

.. I took it at f3.3 (smallest aperture on the camera)but the background is pretty well in focus :shrug:

And here is 'A cotton bud' (well actually a few more than one if you want to be pedantic about it .......)

1251-1385843908-903230f6bca7ce1a844e63df4d971a3d.jpg

I had intended to practice using PSE 11 selection tool and then getting rid of the light sheen/shine but not quite there yet regarding selection technique so will have to leave it as it is.

I got the basic idea from having browsed through the '101 ways to photograph pencils' thread by Mentalblock at
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/101-ways-to-photogragh-pencils-complete.381604/

What a great week folks! very funny ones :banana:

On to this weeks theme, it is going to be...........toothpaste!

OK - here is my effort for TOOTHPASTE - a certain similarity with my last one on cotton buds (ie a pattern) so will try hard not to do that for next week's (whatever it is).

The dentist had been on a nouvelle cuisine course ......

1395-1386421229-eaf9f9374a5b51035ee9843e0cc9f6f2.jpg

Ok so it seems this thread has kinda tailed of a bit of late which is a shame, obviously i know people have busy lives and xmas coming up so not always able to do it, so for that reason i am going to (for now) change it to a free for all mundane thread, post whatever boring mundane things you see in the run up to xmas, as many pictures as you like, show them here...

Sorry...
Last week, I was fresh out of ideas, and fresh out of toothpaste. :(
View attachment 2065

You've put me in a bit of a quandary here:)

I'm pleased if in any way my toothpaste image gave you an idea for a picture but as the founding (and only member) of DAL (Destroy All Legomen) then I have had to be really big about it:LOL:

Ok so it seems this thread has kinda tailed of a bit of late ...

It would be a shame if this thread petered out (who was Peter anyway and what did he do?).

As T. knows, for me the great thing about this thread was that it meant I wasn't able to do any 'self-editing' on the subject chosen - either choosing something because I immediately had an idea, or not choosing something because I couldn't think of anything to do with it.

So to continue in that mode I have:
  • found on the internet a list of common household objects
  • taken out large items eg DVD player
  • added a few things that happen to be on my desk at the moment to give a total 63 items
  • pasted it into excel
  • numbered each item
  • found a random number generator on the internet
  • entered 1 and 63 in the range of the generator

and produced a random number = 39, and then chosen that as my subject.

It is a 'duster' by the way and definitely falls into the category of 'not choosing something because I couldn't think of anything to do with it'. So I have absolutely no idea of what I will do with it (or them), especially as I don't want to produce another pattern.

Last edited:
Hahahaha! you know chris i'm surprised you still come in here with all these lego men!... hats of to you!

Anyway i really don't want this thread to go to pot completely either so hopefully you can all chip in as and when and post some boring crap whenever you get 2 mins!

Ahhh - I might have guessed - I thought it would be either you or T. that did it

As I posted elsewhere, I shall now start planning my revenge .............:D

Thanks! i didn't think i was but thought i best check

OK as per above I randomly selected 'Duster' so here is my duster picture

1509-1386710191-10b8d16ea7d29a39ef89eb408de78bb5.jpg

I can't help thinking there is something more interesting to do with a duster :) but can't quite work out what at the moment.:thinking:

Edit mmm - just noticed top is bit out of focus - why is I never see these things until AFTER I have posted it??:bonk:

Last edited:
OK as per above I randomly selected 'Duster' so here is my duster picture

1509-1386710191-10b8d16ea7d29a39ef89eb408de78bb5.jpg

I can't help thinking there is something more interesting to do with a duster :) but can't quite work out what at the moment.:thinking:

Edit mmm - just noticed top is bit out of focus - why is I never see these things until AFTER I have posted it??:bonk:

Always the way to notice afterwards....

as for something more interesting i think.... although its a duster not a napkin the delicious jude law and Mr napkin head would be perfect for a photo

View attachment 2117

:banana::banana::banana:

Are you taking new members ? :D

Anyway, here's some mundanity (my spellchecker says it's not a word :) ) in the form of graphite from a propelling pencil:

Graphite2 by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

Membership of DAL is free and there are no formal actions to take to join or remain a member.
The main informal action is a grinding of the teeth every time you see another lego figure:) waving_lego_minifig_for_messenger.jpg

RE your image - like it, and wouldn't normally comment on images in this thread but have just been reading something about patterns in images and making them have a greater impact.

The general drift was to have something that 'broke' the pattern EG in a picture of rows of empty seats, have one seat occupied (at a thirds position if poss) or maybe in your image, a coloured strip instead of a black one(?)

Anyway - just a thought

I did think about putting one rod on a diagonal or breaking one and leaving a little gap. Now you've mentioned it, I might give it a go :)
Here it is.

Graphite3a
by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

No more, I've just managed to get the sellotape off them and back in their containers without breaking any :D
I may come back to them at some point, though!

Last edited:
For me that second image is great - and certainly far from 'mundane'(y)

I did think about putting one rod on a diagonal or breaking one and leaving a little gap. Now you've mentioned it, I might give it a go :)
Here it is.

Graphite3a
by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

No more, I've just managed to get the sellotape off them and back in their containers without breaking any :D
I may come back to them at some point, though!

Oh yes Oh yes now this is :banana: worthy Mike..... liking that alot....

I liked the first one too but made my eyes go funny, this one is ace though(y)

makes my eyes go funny - but its a class image (y)

This is really cool thread - I should have dropped my balls in here earlier :D

So many comments to be said....:D

I was thinking of resurrecting the themes but I may change the title to all things random or something

Back