Muscid Fly (booooring)... but it could have been Woodlice ;)

Edit My Images
No
....any subject is a practice subject. Sorry it's more flies again. I dunno, we spend our lives being told by our parents that they're dirty nasty little creatures. Give us a bleedin' macro lens and they're the unsuspecting victims of many shutter counts.

This first one is a bit of a nasty colour contrast but the rest are more pleasing I believe.

IMG2980.jpg

IMG2982.jpg

IMG2985.jpg

IMG2986.jpg

ooh, and one of the shrub it was playing about on.
IMG2989.jpg

Cheers Ollie. I must admit I do like the DoF myelf. There's still enough b/g detail to show the environment. A few colour shifts and it could be an Avatar world ;)

No.4 is my personal favorite, it is a very nice set overall and very good technique you have used to capture them.

Excellent DOF tiny F-stop or stacking? (in other words, share your settings please - jealous)
:)

Darren

Excellent DOF tiny F-stop or stacking? (in other words, share your settings please - jealous)
:)

Darren

Hi Darren, firstly, thank you for your kind words :).

No stacking done in these shots (I fail miserably at that, mainly because I haven't practiced the technique).

Most of my shots for macro are done using the same exposure settings with alterations done to my flash output based on ambient lighting or image result.

I shoot mostly at 1/200th, F11 and ISO 200 with my Speedlite 430EXII diffused using a rather cumbersome but quite effective softbox. I intend to refine my diffusion at some point. The F11 of course permitting a deeper DoF but not so much that the BG is too detailled if shooting at 1:1 or a little less.

I have noticed in this set of shots however, that the first 2 were shot at F10. This I imagine was not realised by myself at the time however has still produced a nice result :). The use of ISO 200 simply allows me to bring a bit more of the background detail into the frame otherwise, often, there are too many dark shadow areas.

They are fantastic shots to my eye, i've had my 7d a few months now and just got my hands on a 2nd hand sigma 105 macro so i hope i can do them justice as you have, what lens did you use?

Darren

Love the first one, the rest are all good as well. The contrast in colour on 1 works for me. Im a big fan of coloured backgrounds (as you have probably gathered)

They are fantastic shots to my eye, i've had my 7d a few months now and just got my hands on a 2nd hand sigma 105 macro so i hope i can do them justice as you have, what lens did you use?

Darren

Thank you Darren. For these shots I was using my very newly purchased Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS USM on my EOS 7D.

However, I also used a Sigma 105 Macro for a good 3 years prior. Mostly on my 400D before the 7D and I have to admit, it served me very well, enabled me to get some lovely shots. If you have a look at my galllery linked here: http://ipc.smugmug.com/Close-Ups-Macro/Macro/4928508_h2LBHR#!i=1752258285&k=Wvdkz2V, everything from the spider and older is a combo of 400D and Sigma 105. The ladybirds on that page and newer are Sigma and 7D. I have a new gallery under the macro section for the 7D and 100L.

Ps, Cheers Ziggy and ALS :)

Last edited:
There are some cracking shots on there, im loving the bubbles (i guess thats what they are) the colours are really vivid, any pp involved to boost them?

Thanks Darren. Boosted saturation by about 5% to bring up the colours a little more. Mostly out of the camera though. There were some normal levels and highlights adjustments.

The little orbs of light you see in the background are the bokeh produced by the lens. If you look at the more in focus leaves, they have jagged points that are lit up by the flash. That's what you're seeing in the background. Because the very shallow DoF, you get those lovely orbs from light sources :)

Have to admit, they kinda made me go woahhh when I saw them :D

Actually, I'll be posting another image up soon that I took last night. It's not an insect but still taken with the macro lens and shows those orbs of light you can get.

Back