My 1st go at Macro

You've nailed focus on all 3 so well done there but personally I'm not sure about the black backgrounds.
It isolates the subject well but for me it's just too empty, I'd prefer to see DOF used to blur a nicer background.
Of the 3 the second is by far my favourite, lovely colour and perfect use of DOF.
Great lens eh? I have the older non-OS one, which one is yours?

Last edited:
I was shooting in the house so used the black background. As im new to this haven't a clue really I invested in the 105 sigma Hsm lens from jessops for £379 brand new

Welcome to the nut house. I don't mind the black background as it highlights the colours of the flowers.

Things I would change;
#1 change the angle so its not a straight on side profile shot but composition is good.

#3 personally wouldn't have them laying on a surface.

If you like these types of shots then check out @Lez325 threads. :)

Great start look forward to seeing more.

Last edited:
I was shooting in the house so used the black background. As im new to this haven't a clue really I invested in the 105 sigma Hsm lens from jessops for £379 brand new
Hi

I'm new to macro as well, I quite like the isolation of 3, again not the easiest thing to nail the focus and get enough dof.

I'd be happy with them, oh and if you've just got it you have the new OS version

Thanks for the imput will take in onboard for future up and coming Macro

no.2 is the pick of the bunch for me. Like every genre, its an art form, so be prepared to get to get shot down in flames

Thanks for all Comments, Hoping to improve as times goes on as this my first attempt

You'll be surprised how far you can push things working up close, even stopped down to f10 or f11 the DOF at mfd is very small, so what you may normally see as 'cluttered' backgrounds aren't too much of an issue.
Yours is the newer HSM one, I may upgrade to that one at some point as £379 is a great price!
Look forward to seeing some more from you. (y)

I will keep trying now i have a Macro lens

You'll be surprised how far you can push things working up close, even stopped down to f10 or f11 the DOF at mfd is very small, so what you may normally see as 'cluttered' backgrounds aren't too much of an issue.

Good point. FWIW I very often use the minimum apertures I have available, which is (depending on focal length) f/22 - f/32 on my APS-C setup. That is most often for invertebrates, but I do use everything up to f/22 - f/32 for some flower shots too.

Mark I love all your shots as I'm a sucker for flowers - so welcome to this zany, but extremely good natured, part of TP :welcome:

Mark I love all your shots as I'm a sucker for flowers - so welcome to this zany, but extremely good natured, part of TP :welcome:

Thanks and like i say i hope to improve in this area

Excellent and may I suggest you do more as these are superb. ;)

These guys are far more knowledgable than i am about macro but i know some beautifully images when i see them..... looking forward to seeing some more from you:D

These guys are far more knowledgable than i am about macro but i know some beautifully images when i see them..... looking forward to seeing some more from you:D

Exactly how I feel so well said T. :clap:

The 2 close ups that fill the frame are my favourites. Like Bryn, I'm not a fan of flowers that are laid down on a surface (t distorts the shape of the flower head too much) and prefer them to be supported in someway, but I like the added interest of the droplets.

Back