My attempt at Football.

Name
James Rothwell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello!

So Saturday afternoon I went to see a local football team who we sponsor play a game, and I thought it would be a good oppertunity to practice with the camera.

Anyway, I'd like some feedback please as I have never done this kind of thing before and need some tips!

I know it sounds stupid, but what makes a good football shot?

4against1.jpg

kicknumber10.jpg

number6tackle.jpg

number9.jpg

number9closeup.jpg

tackle.jpg

teamtackle.jpg

throwin.jpg

-Thanks!

Last edited:
i have seen a lot worse for a first attempt... hard to critique so many pics as you havent numbered them :) crop tighter, shoot from lower down... delete shots that are backs of players or in 99% of cases if theres no ball in the shot

Thanks for the advice. I shall be doing it again on a fairly regular basis, but next time I'll take my dads camera (EOS 40d) with me as that seems to take shots better in lowlight where as my Nikon D40 running a high ISO they do come out quite grainy and also my lens wasn't really up to the job.

One of my photos will be appearing in the paper with the match report which is kind of cool though!

i have seen a lot worse for a first attempt... hard to critique so many pics as you havent numbered them :) crop tighter, shoot from lower down... delete shots that are backs of players or in 99% of cases if theres no ball in the shot

How could I not agree with what KIPAX says... he's been doing this for a while.
I would lower the with out ball rate to maybe 90%... there are some decent shots without a ball out there... but yes, try to get the ball in.

Also, try to get some of the action facing you ... that brings out both of players faces and you do quite often want to see them in the shots.

QUite impressive if you got a shot published at your first time shooting football (y). I doubt that there are many who have done it !

Out of interest, which lens did you use on your D40?

I agree with the comments above, for your first go, I think you should be pleased.

Thanks very much guys, I am very pleased with my results.

I used the 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G lens.

Back