My Boy

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Only have my son on a weekend and as we had a bit of a rainy day today so got the camera our and set a softbox up and took a few pictures and got Corey to pull soe silly faces.

Now I am fairly new to lighting so a lot of it was trial and error and a opportunity to get a bit more practice. I dont have a back drop yet so just used the kitchen wall as its the only room with space to get set up living in a 2 bedroom terrace only thing is the wall is red. Dont think its come out too bad but open to CC on them all and I am looking to learn so any feedback will be taken in and try it.

Excuse his messy hair!!

1#
_MG_0288 by jamesmeephotography, on Flickr

2#
_MG_0215 by jamesmeephotography, on Flickr

3#
_MG_0241 by jamesmeephotography, on Flickr

4# Toothy
_MG_0244 by jamesmeephotography, on Flickr

5# Moody child
_MG_0267 by jamesmeephotography, on Flickr

_MG_0269 by jamesmeephotography, on Flickr

I do not know about portrait lighting and No3 looks a little dark but the last is great, shows a great personality.

Your lighting is too contrasty, and a little too high for a single light. No.3 is a good example. Look at those shadows... you can't even see his eyes. All of them ave really pronounced shadows across the face. Number 2 is working best regards lighting, but it's still far too contrasty... were you using a reflector? A simple white reflector can work wonders if held off to the other side to bounce some light back in.

They're all very dark too. I suspect your monitor is set far too bright.

Didn't have a reflector at the time of doing them but do now [emoji2] also need to get my monitor calibrated as think it's miles out.
Cheers for advice will give it another go soon

In the meantime, just turn it's brightness down a touch.

use this as a guide......

hkjWyls.jpg

Then double check with http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

A calibrator is a good move though in the long term.

Cheers will give it a go tonight (aslong as the Mrs doesn't go into labour!)

Hi James. Not the easiest this flash game to get ones head around ? (for me anyway) You on the right track here though.Davids advice makes sense to me, so I learnt something here too. Seems you need shadows to create form and depth thus to create an interesting image yet the shadows don't wanna be too deep. Unless it's a look you are after. ( all very confusing) :)

Keep up the good work.

Gaz

Cheers guys once the Mrs has given birth and things have settled down going to try get my head around it.
Might have to do selfies as only have my son on a weekend so limited to when I have a model available.

Will report back once I had another go and with using the reflector

Back