My Favourite Building

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've taken the idea for this thread from @Ricardodaforce who posted something similar in the Out of Focus section. I liked it and thought it was a good idea but instead of resurrecting that old thread, I thought I'd start this one. If anybody has any photos of favourite buildings, post 'em here!

I'm going to start with this gorgeous gatehouse in Gloucestershire, where you can find it guarding the entrance to Stanway House. It was built about 1630.

Stanway House Gatehouse

Stanway House, Gatehouse. by all you need is light, on Flickr

Great idea.
Here my contribution
"de markthal" (market hall) in Rotterdam.
For me and many photographer a wide angle/Fisheye heaven.

DSC_1117_zpse0fa137f.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favourite buildings near to me is St Agnes' Church in Freshwater, Isle of Wight. It's a small building with a thatched roof which makes for some good images, but this one is an interior view which I particularly like.

6216850775_5fc49de752_o.jpg

Steve.

Last edited:
Castle Wise, smaller IMHO is better. Not so sold on Edinburgh Castle or Stirling Castle

I love Inveraray Castle, not just for the setting but for the Gothic design, interesting windows design and stonework.

_DSC2181 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

I've put Eilean Donan in too. Why, the rugged appearance and setting screams Scotland. It screams highlands, and seeing it marks a high point in any journey there. It brings back memories of family holidays, serves as a reminder of the past of the area, and to be honest, just looks great.

_DSC2266 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

One building, and it's probably my favourite building in the city of Edinburgh is Fettes College. It looks like a French Chateux and was original a school for children of poor families or orphans. Now it's one of the countries best fee paying schools and educated ex Labour PM Tony Blair

_DSC2100 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

The building is fabulous, looks great and is an under photographed building (perhaps given its nature as a school) but just look at it.

Another local one from me. This is about 5 minutes walk from my place. It's one of Cheltenham's Regency buildings - St Paul's church built between 1829-31 "as a church for the artisan classes in the poorer quarter". I've been trying to get a good photograph of it for a year or so. There's usually cars outside, the lights wrong etc. About two weeks ago I wandered over there and got this which, along with the period railings and gates, works well (for me anyway!).

Cheltenham: St Paul's Church by all you need is light, on Flickr

Reactions: ST4
From what I have seen, nothing surpasses the buildings in Valencia. They have been created with the images we see (here from @Ricardodaforce for example) as the end result and it's been achieved superbly well. Glasgow and Newcastle in the UK look impressive as @ST4 demonstrates above.

From what I have seen, nothing surpasses the buildings in Valencia. They have been created with the images we see (here from @Ricardodaforce for example) as the end result and it's been achieved superbly well. Glasgow and Newcastle in the UK look impressive as @ST4 demonstrates above.

The place is a photographer's paradise. So many angles, so many opportunities.

Black is the Night by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Warp Core by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

HyperNova by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

LifeForce - EXPLORED! Thank You :) by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Loops of Fury by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Soyuz by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

One of my favorite places, especially in the summer when the mid day sun does this. Not so good on a dull winter day though.

David

@Ricardodaforce. I'll probably need 2x blue hours to get all the images I want. It looks just great. No doubt your composition and conditions have helped enormously. Question, is the water usually still, I hear there are fountains there. The reflection really takes the image to a different level, and really my favourite type of shooting (as you can tell)

@Ricardodaforce. I'll probably need 2x blue hours to get all the images I want. It looks just great. No doubt your composition and conditions have helped enormously. Question, is the water usually still, I hear there are fountains there. The reflection really takes the image to a different level, and really my favourite type of shooting (as you can tell)

There are no fountains. Normally the water is choppy during the day but settles down in the evening. Of course being on the coast, Valencia can be subject to windy conditions which can destroy any opportunity of cool reflection shots. I've been there in the evening/night and come away with hardly any shots.
The other factor is that some events that happen at the CAC mean the might drain some of the pool areas. So make sure you're not visiting during a big event.

There are no fountains. Normally the water is choppy during the day but settles down in the evening. Of course being on the coast, Valencia can be subject to windy conditions which can destroy any opportunity of cool reflection shots. I've been there in the evening/night and come away with hardly any shots.
The other factor is that some events that happen at the CAC mean the might drain some of the pool areas. So make sure you're not visiting during a big event.

I will look out for this and try go for a few days to maximise my odds of success.

_DSC2181 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

I've put Eilean Donan in too. Why, the rugged appearance and setting screams Scotland. It screams highlands, and seeing it marks a high point in any journey there. It brings back memories of family holidays, serves as a reminder of the past of the area, and to be honest, just looks great.

_DSC2266 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Definitely one of the better shots of Eilan Donan castle Steve, although I'd be tempted to crop even tighter as the bridge/path on the right doesn't really add much to the photo. Did you check the tide times in advance or was this just a moment in time?

Here's an interesting read re design and construction

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30438180[/QUOTE

Its very true that cad and 3d has changed building design.

I have worked with a sculptor on a couple of projects that without cad wouldn't have been possible.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/johnhoughton/4913521761/in/search_QM_q_IS_turning the place over_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/tviljoen/15558941155/in/search_QM_q_IS_slipstream sculpture_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all

Last edited:
Definitely one of the better shots of Eilan Donan castle Steve, although I'd be tempted to crop even tighter as the bridge/path on the right doesn't really add much to the photo. Did you check the tide times in advance or was this just a moment in time?

A moment in time. I have a large 24x16 print of it in my home now. I'll probably resell it or exhibit one once I get a slot at a local gallery. The composition, other than lining up the bridge was a moment in time thing to be honest, the midges were HORRIFIC, it was spitting rain and fine tuning was a bit out of order as the midges were HORRIFIC. It wasn't planned, the full story is here on my site. It was a quick stop over before going to Skye to climb the storr, and as the sweather in skye cannot be trusted it wasn't the best

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/frustrations-landscape-photography-isle-skye/

Different one on the blog, but you get the idea

Thats a really nice looking bit of architecture, you've got me thinking when I am down that way to pop in.

Here's another builing that intrigued me. Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome

_DSC1509 (1) by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC1711 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC1546 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Looks great any time of day, and when you go inside the thickness of the walls really take you by surprise, it is one sturdy building. Its nearly 2000 years old, and stands as proud as anything and shows NO sign of going anywwhere.

Back