Critique My first 6 months

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so thought I'd start off by sharing a few of my favorite pics from my first 6 months of photography and see what you think and what I should focus on to improve.
I've had a lot of trial and error and a folder of discarded pics much, much bigger than the folder of pics that are at least close to being sharp and correctly exposed.
Hopefully I've put the link to flickr in properly and the pics will be here

sunset
by b1g_j0hn, on Flickr

Path to the beach
by b1g_j0hn, on Flickr

Glasgow sunrise
by b1g_j0hn, on Flickr

Im no expert but happy to pass my 2p opinion.

My first thought looking at the three was it was immediately obvious they werent just snaps. You had made an effort to frame the images up as you wanted. That is a pretty good start IMHO!

More detailed observations:
#1 Could possibly be a nice scene but suffers from underexposed foreground and a bit of flare. Nuclear sun, no clouds in sky for interest/sunset catching.

#2 Can see what you were trying with the path and posts leading you in. Unfortunate that the nearest posts are cut off half way up and the r/h one slipping out of frame. Maybe try kneeling down next time and making sure you have the posts either fully in or not shown if they wont fit.

#3 possibly the best of the 3. Nice pastel serene feel to it. Leading lines in of the wall/fence on the left. Nice cloud reflections. Improvements? Maybe wait for all the street lights to be on, also change viewpoint to move the dominant street lamp away from the slightly central position more to the right.

Keep at it.

(y)

thanks for that. It's good to get a view from someone other than a family member who just thinks everything is great, good for encouragement but not so good for learning.
#1 - looking at it now I totally agree with you
#2 - the top of the posts were about waist height so was pretty low already but I see what you mean and could do with being lower still (wider lens perhaps?)
#3 - most of the streetlights went out before there was any colour in the sky on that morning and I'm not quite sure how to combine different exposures yet, although its on my list of things to learn. I hadn't noticed how central the main street lamp was, will need to watch for that

all decent shots and full of technical aptitude
in 1 i would not use a centre sun
2 is really full of atmosophere and what looks like snow!! hooray
3 is not helped by that central light standard
if it was out the reflection would be for sky only and the other lamp a nice motif

Back