B&W My first attempt at a wedding.

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Hi, i was asked to attend my friends wedding as a photographer as they have seen some of my work and liked it, i was told there was no pressure and they only wanted a few shots and that they both had faith in what i would produce.
It was only a very small wedding with 15 guests (mainly Family) so not that much to work with, i was asked to Shoot reportage and told they loved b&w, so i have done a set in b&w and will be doing a colour set for them over the next week or so.

All comments and crit welcome and appreciated.:oops: :$o_O

1. The wedding car.
20140830-DSC_1167 by J.Garton, on Flickr

2. The Ring Bearer.
Ring Bearer. by J.Garton, on Flickr

20140830-DSC_1257 by J.Garton, on Flickr

20140830-DSC_1325 by J.Garton, on Flickr

20140830-DSC_1343 by J.Garton, on Flickr

20140830-DSC_1456 by J.Garton, on Flickr

7. And just because.
20140830-DSC_1443 by J.Garton, on Flickr

I do like the last one but maybe you could have framed her less centrally. Number 3 is nice as well. You need to watch your framing on the 1st and the 5th. The chopped off body parts look like a mistake

Quite a nice set, number 3 and number 6 stand out as being my personal favourites from the set. Maybe take a closer look at 3 and 6, see how the right side drops a fraction ?, only a couple of MM but to me it detracts slightly and if you straitened it i think it could improve on the image which is very nicely composed.

Number 7 is also nice. I like the way the black line of the car door continues down and meets with the crack in the tarmac - quite accidental I'm sure but it's a pleasing image !

I do like the last one but maybe you could have framed her less centrally. Number 3 is nice as well. You need to watch your framing on the 1st and the 5th. The chopped off body parts look like a mistake

Thank you, you're right about the chopped off body parts, its caused by my levelling the photos, i had some really wonky shots which i think was down to the speed things move at and trying to grab the shot quickly.

Quite a nice set, number 3 and number 6 stand out as being my personal favourites from the set. Maybe take a closer look at 3 and 6, see how the right side drops a fraction ?, only a couple of MM but to me it detracts slightly and if you straitened it i think it could improve on the image which is very nicely composed.

Number 7 is also nice. I like the way the black line of the car door continues down and meets with the crack in the tarmac - quite accidental I'm sure but it's a pleasing image !

Thanks, yes i can see what you mean, no.3 i can fix but i had to make a decision on no.6 because the more i level one area, the more other areas become uneven, i had warned them that this shot would have its downfalls but they wanted it all the same.

Again, you are right it wasn't intentional and thanks, i like it.

:oops: :$:oops: :$:oops: :$:oops: :$:(.

I have just noticed a glaring error in no.3, the picture to the left of the frame.

I have fixed it now, an errant spot removal from a previous shot that carried over when i hit previous in lightroom.
I thought i had caught them all, obviously not.:coat:

I'm not keen on the conversion of #1 and #7, which I suspect might be due to your having the usual keen photographer phobia about blowing out highlights, but FWIW ...

#1 Conversion aside, the only problem I have with this one is your title, which, if pictures actually need titles, should really be "The arrival". (You couldn't pass this off as a shot of the wedding car if you were snapping weddings for a living!)

#2 AFAIC the only way you could have improved that would have been by shooting it portrait so the lead led up to the top LH corner of the frame.

#3 Well done with that. You even got the separation from the bod in the background.

#4 Again, nicely done. If you want to be picky, by convention the woman should be behind the groom and the bloke behind the bride, but obviously politics or relationships override that, as they may well have done here.

#5 If only you'd managed to drop the framing a tad more before you pressed the magic button, that would have been a cracker!

#6 Not much wrong with that considering you obviously left your cherrypicker at home. The only thing I ever found that sometimes improves matters where you're stuck with a ground-level viewpoint for that shot is to take the one you did, then try it again with them all leaning on the handrail. But whatever, bonus points for getting all eyes looking at you.

#7 I can't put my finger on why that doesn't quite work for me, but I know what I'd have tried - wide angle, get in really close with the camera held down at about her chest level, try anything to get a laugh out of her, put your trust in the AF and shoot the s*** out of it :)

I'm not keen on the conversion of #1 and #7, which I suspect might be due to your having the usual keen photographer phobia about blowing out highlights, but FWIW ...

#1 Conversion aside, the only problem I have with this one is your title, which, if pictures actually need titles, should really be "The arrival". (You couldn't pass this off as a shot of the wedding car if you were snapping weddings for a living!)

Ah ok, i wanted to make a point of the car as it was a part of the wedding in a way, it was a treat they treated themselves to for the wedding, the bride likes fast cars, noted in case i photograph any more weddings.
You are probably right about the highlight phobia, i have picked it up off here, along with nearly everything else i have learnt.

#2 AFAIC the only way you could have improved that would have been by shooting it portrait so the lead led up to the top LH corner of the frame.

Again, i had to get this shot because it was a part of the wedding, granted it could of been much better, i should of planned this beforehand, i knew it was happening.

#3 Well done with that. You even got the separation from the bod in the background.

Thank you, the bod in the background, i could of murdered for standing there, again experience would of helped, i knew he was about and didn't give a second thought that he might attend the ceremony and stand there all the way through.:shifty:

#4 Again, nicely done. If you want to be picky, by convention the woman should be behind the groom and the bloke behind the bride, but obviously politics or relationships override that, as they may well have done here.

I wasn't aware of this so thanks for next time, both the oldest best friends of the couple.

#5 If only you'd managed to drop the framing a tad more before you pressed the magic button, that would have been a cracker!

I actually did, but it was on such a slope i was shocked myself when i saw how bad it was.

#6 Not much wrong with that considering you obviously left your cherrypicker at home. The only thing I ever found that sometimes improves matters where you're stuck with a ground-level viewpoint for that shot is to take the one you did, then try it again with them all leaning on the handrail. But whatever, bonus points for getting all eyes looking at you.

I offered to go and pick up a set of 12step ladders to do this shot but i think it was forgotten about and never mentioned again.
I took around 4-5 of this shot, i have wider versions too.

#7 I can't put my finger on why that doesn't quite work for me, but I know what I'd have tried - wide angle, get in really close with the camera held down at about her chest level, try anything to get a laugh out of her, put your trust in the AF and shoot the s*** out of it :)

This was the full shot, you may prefer this.
20140830-DSC_1443 by J.Garton, on Flickr

I defiantly wasn't going to get a laugh out of her.:)
20140830-DSC_1446 by J.Garton, on Flickr

Thank you Sid for the individual critique (y), its something not that many people are confident doing, myself included.

You're welcome chum. Honest critique is what did us the most good, that's for sure! Anyhow, don't forget that I was commenting from a wedding photographer's POV, and that's a lot different to an amateur photographer's. All things considered, I reckon you did very well with those.

And yes, I do prefer the colour one of the little madam and her ted. More to the point, though, I can guarantee that her parents will, and so would 99% of the couples we worked for :)

BTW, the bod at the back is probably The Venue Person, who is normally required to be present in the ceremony room throughout the proceedings. Most of them go on a one-day course on how to be a PITA to all wedding snappers, and how to bugger up their ceremony shots ;)

I don't think I've ever been called chum before.:)
That's good to hear, thank you.

The Bride is an amateur photographer and likes black and white so i am doing 2 lots for her, 1 B&W & the other colour.

The bod at the back is Eric, a very nice helpful chap that is indeed the venue person, he certainly restricted some of the shots i wanted to get.

Back