My first attempt at Portraits...C&C please!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Well anyway please meet Marta whom I work with and who very kindly helped me out and did some posing, this is the first time I've ever directed anybody or indeed gone for a portrait shoot. Luckily she's done some modelling for Toni and Guy so she helped me out in the direction stakes!

Shot up to my office in Lloyds of London as we have a rather crazy reception full of 'props' plus thought the glass lifts would make an interesting back drop (should have taken my polarising filter - stupid reflections!) and also the stairwell.

Anyway please let me know what you think? Had an absolute blast taking them and using flash of camera for the first time (teaching myself as I went!!). Would defo like to something like this again!

Enjoy!

Marta11.jpg

Marta12.jpg

Marta6.jpg

Marta7.jpg

Marta8.jpg

Marta9.jpg

Marta10.jpg

Marta5.jpg

Marta2.jpg

Marta3.jpg

Last edited:
Out of interest, what lens(es) were you using for these shots?

I prefer the first of the lift shots, the other two have a lot of reflection from her white top. 3 and 5 look OOF to me...

Some interesting shots, with variation, which is good.

Shots 1-8 (not 5) keep an eye on your focus point as it's the eyes that should usually be the sharpest point in the picture (with few exceptions). It's just the focusing that lets these down the most for me. I wouldn't waste time processing them if they're not in focus.

Some interesting shots, with variation, which is good.

Shots 1-8 (not 5) keep an eye on your focus point as it's the eyes that should usually be the sharpest point in the picture (with few exceptions). It's just the focusing that lets these down the most for me. I wouldn't waste time processing them if they're not in focus.

Thanks for comment! Most of the time the focus was on the eyes or very close too. A couple are off. Biggest fail is the slow shutter speed which is annoying as I went into this knowing that I can't really go below 1/100 but got carried away with the framing! Beginners cock up I guess :(

Back