My first attempt at speeding cars

Name
Carole
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I was at Rockingham last weekend and tried my hand at trying to capture speeding cars. Thank goodness for digital.......i got lots of fronts and backs, but not many "whole" cars and as for actually composing the blighters.....well, how does anyone manage that?

Here's a couple for you to critique, the rest are in my gallery.

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4508-copy.jpg

IMG_4778.jpg

I have a Canon 350 D and switched between my 18-75mm and my 70-200mm lenses.

I'd appreciate your comments.

They're great shots - in particular I like number 3 - it really has a great sense of speed. Its an excellent start - I've never tried my hand at this stuff - I must add it to the list!

Thanks for the comments. I know what you mean about the sense of speed: you need somthing in the background to be blurred, and concrete just doesn't do that!

Whilst racing is not my "thing", I have to admit it was great fun!

2nd for me.

They're all good captures, you've got this panning lark down ;)
While #3 has a good sense of speed, I think the background on #2 is better and more contrasty, so it's easier to see and pluck out against the car, giving the speed more realism....if that makes sense.

Thanks everyone.
I had a really great time doing these. I've read all the photo magazines in the last few months and picked up lots of good advice, but there's nothing like actually doing it for real, is there? Thanks again, for the encouragement.:ty:

Good work for a first attempt.(y) You cannot always choose the background but knowing that it makes a difference is always worth keeping in mind.

You've really managed to keep the cars sharp with a lovely blurred background - very nice shots (y)

they are pretty good, my first attempts where very hit and miss

I think you should be pleased - your technique is spot on. Now you just need to get to a track where there is plenty of advertising along the trackside as this will add a nice blur to the background. You will also find that sometimes a little blur on the vehicle will work too to show a sense of speed.

Ray

Back