My first attempts in my new garage studio.

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Tonally and lighting wise I prefer 1 and 4 Though sideways pictures give me a crick in the neck.
No 2 looks like the highlight side of the face has been veiled over as there is no detail at all in what would have been the highlights.

You are sailing too close to the wind highlight wise in all of them except 1. So I suspect you have exposed slightly too far to the right for your camera/ recovery to cope, and they have burnt out.
But they are all interesting in their own way.

I would tone down his ear some what in no1 as it catches my eye.

Last edited:
Gotta say I like number 5. Matches the little girl perfectly!

#3, 5 & 6 are my picks. They don't look too blown to me at all (calibrated displays) but it may be subjective... I am not a fan of #4 as the angle is just weird to me. All in all, it's a great set.

#6 what a lovely picture nice one

Thank you.:)

Tonally and lighting wise I prefer 1 and 4 Though sideways pictures give me a crick in the neck.
No 2 looks like the highlight side of the face has been veiled over as there is no detail at all in what would have been the highlights.

You are sailing too close to the wind highlight wise in all of them except 1. So I suspect you have exposed slightly too far to the right for your camera/ recovery to cope, and they have burnt out.
But they are all interesting in their own way.

I would tone down his ear some what in no1 as it catches my eye.

Thanks for the feedback Terry, 4 was that way round in lightroom and i just liked it enough to leave it that way.
I am glad you have mentioned the highlight thing, it seems to be a problem i keep having and i am not too sure what it is i am doing to cause it.:thinking:
Although after reading your post again, i suppose i need to keep an eye on the histogram and try to even the exposures out.

Gotta say I like number 5. Matches the little girl perfectly!

Thanks choppie, its good to know someone else likes the same as me.

#3, 5 & 6 are my picks. They don't look too blown to me at all (calibrated displays) but it may be subjective... I am not a fan of #4 as the angle is just weird to me. All in all, it's a great set.

Thanks Graham, being a bit of fan of your work its pleasing to hear you say so, ;), the problem is in the skin tones, while not blown histogram wise they loose nearly all detail and cant really be recovered or have very little adjustment in lightroom, downsizing really doesn't help either, at full resolution they all look fine if a little low in details in said highlight areas .

I'd agree in #2, John. It's lost detail on the right. #6 is processed that way and you can expect it to lose definition, but that's the style of the image. #3 & 5 are not close enough to worry about loss of definition at that resolution. If you pixel peep, sure, you will see it. Do you have any on Flickr at full res?

#5 gets the vote for me. I'm a sucker for negative space. :)

I'd agree in #2, John. It's lost detail on the right. #6 is processed that way and you can expect it to lose definition, but that's the style of the image. #3 & 5 are not close enough to worry about loss of definition at that resolution. If you pixel peep, sure, you will see it. Do you have any on Flickr at full res?

You're right, no.2 is still suffering but what Terry has picked up on is correct, i have just about managed to correct the others to retain a bit of detail but the issue is there no the less.
No, no full res, i was going to put up no.2 but realised i had already gone back and re-edited it.

#5 gets the vote for me. I'm a sucker for negative space. :)

Thanks, i tried a few this way, in the pics that the parents were given there was 4 of these, all different poses, 2 same crop as this, 1 upside down and 1 side on, i wanted the pics to have a fun side to em.

Sorry I should have also said the rest are great - not much else to offer in terms of critique.

:) Thanks, I'm not one to give critique myself, i don't know enough to comment on others work but i am learning, slowly.

Great photos ,
Only #2 i don't like ..eyes half shut and a bit to contrasty on the skin for me.
#5 is my favourite , what a cheeky grin , and the paper colour is well 'different' but i like it.

Great set, the kids are gorgeous #5 is ace, lovely colours and very hipster/funky looking and #6 well just pure cuteness:D(y)

Number 6 does it for me also, Can I ask a question though, your garage setup, how big was it as these shots are excellent.

Great photos ,
Only #2 i don't like ..eyes half shut and a bit to contrasty on the skin for me.
#5 is my favourite , what a cheeky grin , and the paper colour is well 'different' but i like it.

Thanks, i'm pleased no.5 has gone down well as i included 4 of em in the final pics.

No5 stands out for me, loads of character and the background works well.

Thank you, i like the different colours, i have a quirky blue, red and pink as well.

Great set, the kids are gorgeous #5 is ace, lovely colours and very hipster/funky looking and #6 well just pure cuteness:D(y)

Thank you, the kids are gorgeous and were very playful, all 4 of em and 2 parents along with a 2 seater leather settee all in a standard size garage, we did leave the door open at least... :runaway: I learnt i need to limit the amount of people coming round at any 1 time.

Number 6 does it for me also, Can I ask a question though, your garage setup, how big was it as these shots are excellent.

I also have a 2 seater settee in there, right up against the door, so the usable space is around 5m long by around 2.6m wide, i have painted the ceiling and both side walls (bare breeze block) with matt paint to help to control the light.

Thank you for the kind words.;)

I also have a 2 seater settee in there, right up against the door, so the usable space is around 5m long by around 2.6m wide, i have painted the ceiling and both side walls (bare breeze block) with matt paint to help to control the light.

Thank you for the kind words.;)

Wow that's very good results from that size, that's similar to the size I have but couldn't make it work right for me. Can you explain to me what way you have things setup if you wouldn't mind? Thanks in advance.

Wow that's very good results from that size, that's similar to the size I have but couldn't make it work right for me. Can you explain to me what way you have things setup if you wouldn't mind? Thanks in advance.

Yes Np.

I have the garage set up length ways with the backdrops mounted on a cheap set of expans off ebay, as i have mentioned the ceiling and walls painted matt black, i tried to get the subjects away from the backdrop to give some separation.
I had a 1.5m:jawdrop: umbrella octobox to the left of the camera, around 2-3m away from the subject, this was for the children and for my mate it was a 10deg grid on a studio light, high as it would go, camera right almost in line with the subject, pretty much as close as i could get it to the subject without it getting in the shot.

As most have said all nice images but 5 is a cut above for me :)

Gaz

Good effort!

1) I like the pose and the composition, but it looks underexposed to me. I can see that that is perhaps a choice, but it would be improved my being at least half a stop brighter.

2) I think this is a shot for the bin, to be perfectly honest. The pose isn't dynamic, the light isn't great and you look like you've caught an unflattering face on your model. Sorry!

3) This is great. The only slight niggle is the composition. When a shot has no obvious negative space then it looks much better centralised properly.

4) Love it, but would have been better the right way up.

5) Love it!

6) Gorgeous, but you're losing her right arm. Maybe half a stop lower?

Back