My first proper attempt at the Milky Way

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
This image was created from 75 stacked shots taken at Chillingham in Northumberland last Spring. The light in the bottom corner is Alnwick. I was using a Pentax K50 with a Samsung 16mm f2 lens, the whole lot being mounted on my home built barn door tracker. The tracker is powered by a stepper motor controlled by a Raspberry Pi. In use, a 5v power bank is gaffer-taped to one of the tripod legs and an electric lens warmer is used to prevent dew formation. The power bank can keep things running for about 4-hours, the camera having its own in-built intervalometer. Start it up, go to bed.

Although the post-processing may need some work, I reckon I may have got away with it!

Pi. In use, a 5Milky Way 1048.jpgIMG_1338.jpgIMG_1337.jpgIMG_1340.jpg

Nice one :)

75 images though! I've never shot that many to stack personally!

And, impressive work on the barn door too. I just bought a tracker :)
I chose a high number just to see how accurately the tracker was following the sky, and since I had them, I stacked them!

How impressive is that!

Excellent work;)

A longer shutter speed will check the tracking accuracy (y)

You could shot those settings without a tracker tbh.
Yes, I agree, and have done so before, but I was in a dark-sky area in Northumberland and it was the first time out with the Heath Robinson tracker, so I just set it and left it.

Love your image and your barn door tracker is brilliant. I must make myself one. I used to have a star adventurer 2i but sold it as I only used once. Sellers, regret now. But I like the simplicity of no power setup and plonk and place, if you know what I mean.
Lee

Well done Graham, both for the engineering and the picture :D

Very well done. That's a fantastic piece of kit you have there.

Very impressive bit of kit and the skill to build it, well worth the effort for a very nice image.

Very impressive, photo and kit. Astro photography is waaay beyond me. Would you get better results (ie no light from Alnwick) if you went a bit further west?

Back