Critique My first rugby shoot

Edit My Images
No
I was fortunate enough to attend a charity rugby match last weekend. Two teams of novice rugby players raising money for a couple of very worthy charities (both Childrens Hospice South West and The Jessie May Trust provide respite care for our disabled daughter).

I took along my 1D MK111 and a sigma 120-300mm F2.8 (only its 2nd outing) to see if I could get some shots for the charity to use.

I've picked a few I liked but would appreciate any feedback. I'm pretty thick skinned and can always do with tips to make next time better

6A5D0896.jpg by tuttonp, on Flickr

6A5D0943.jpg by tuttonp, on Flickr

6A5D0951.jpg by tuttonp, on Flickr

6A5D1073.jpg by tuttonp, on Flickr

6A5D1106.jpg by tuttonp, on Flickr

6A5D1176.jpg by tuttonp, on Flickr

Some nice shots Paul. I'm a big rugby fan so can appreciate the action. It's really not an easy sport to shoot - there's lots of close-in action.

Did you play yourself? If so, that should really help in working out where the ball will be going - if you can look at the attacking team's positioning and work out what the next phase of play is likely to be, you've won half the battle. Pictures of the fly-half putting boot to ball, the scrum half box kicking etc. are all great shots but require an awareness of that being the next play. Lining up of big hits is another great one - check to see if any of the defensive line are running out on a big charge. Wingers are usually cocky and start their try scoring celebrations about half way there ;)

Also keep your eye on the ref - he normally (should!) have something of an idea where the ball will be going next because he needs to make sure he's not going to be in the way of it...

Despite enjoying the strategy of a rugby game, I'd say the best shots are usually pretty close in... a sidestep swerve, a crunching tackle, a swan dive over the line etc. More contextual shots - fly half kicking for goal, long passes are good as well but it's difficult to switch between them.

You've got a few of the "classic" shots - lifting in the line-out, a maul (albeit not really got going), I'd add a scrum (once the 8 has the ball at his feet) and a monster hit. Always good to get a good injury repair shot as well ;)

Great start!

Thanks Paul, these were a few 'picks' from a larger set inc scrum, ruck and maul - https://www.flickr.com/photos/7713995@N04/sets/72157646598437392/

I'm a St Brendans Old Boy (but we are talking +30yrs lapsed) so followed play a little.

I went along primarily to support the fundraising effort so only took one body, with hindsight I should have brought a 2nd body with a wider setup for when play moved towards me as the 120-300mm is great for reach but made it impossible to get shots close to the touchline I was on.

Most of the shots to be honest were wide so that most of the players on the pitch had a 'keeper' to show they'd played in the match but there were a few I really liked (especially the hanging line out shots)

I moved around a little but but as per usual some of the best action was facing away from me when I was shooting.

Last edited:
I have just started shooting rugby (I normal shoot my local football team) and one thing I find difficult is to isolate players and tacklers to get a clean shot. The support players are always nearby but my best efforts are when the winger has the ball out wide where there are less players. Having said that scrums and rucks can give you fantastic opportunities with facial expressions.
Like any sport photography it helps greatly if you know the sport and concentration is the key.
Just have fun.

Andrew - I know what you mean. If you look through the set above most shots include a blurred foreground player as the teams tend to spread out and get between the shooter and the action

I just took a look at your set. I personally prefer the close action ones but as you've said you wanted to capture everyone as it's was a charity match so I do understand.
Them darn players are so inconsiderate in spoiling the pictures :)
The last game I went to I was asked by a lady if I could photograph her son as she thought I would do a better job than her efforts. I was happy to give it a go and it made me concentrate harder to get something decent. I was pleased with what I took and I received a nice thank you email from her.
I am certainly enjoying photographing rugby more and more.

Thanks Carl. Oddly enough on my laptop screen they looked OK, on my IPS monitor they looked OK, on my iPad they look a bit dark!!

Back