My First Shoot

Name
Aaron
Edit My Images
No
Hey all just thought i would post this was my first shoot with a friend and her sisters and i think the final image after processing has come out good to say my flash gun broke during this and i had to use built in flash,

the camera is canon 1100d (rebel T3)
lens was standard 18-55mm kit lens
shutter speed was 1/200
f4.5 aperture
used photoshop cs6

any comments welcome
View attachment 21262
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rumney-photography/

here is the unedited image

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rumney-photography/ View attachment 21263

Welcome to the forum :)

I see it says 'no' to editing images - so if you want me to remove the attached image, which is to highlight some of my points below, then of course I will.

The image is underexposed, the central girl looks stuck onto the image - if the exposure was increased and her shoulders visible - it would help.
If you crop the image it will improve the composition, see attached image for a suggestion.

The skin smoothing is not good, too obvious and makes the rear girls seem even more out of focus. There are more natural skin smoothing tutorials on youtube, however I think you should forgot about it for now. More to the point their skin doesn't need smoothing.

A flash gun will give better results than your onboard flash, more even skin lighting if diffused properly to reduce the highlights you see on the nose, cheeks and chin. Bounce it off a whitish ceiling or wall to get a good cheap diffused lighting.

Having a narrower aperture to get the rear girls in focus would help, either that or get them to pose closer together.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback much appreciated don't mind you editing at all would of being able to use a flashgun had of mine not broke didn't think to use a narrower appature new to photographing people so still learning photoshop for that thanks anyway

I agree with Dan's comments + a smaller aperture would have all 3 subjects in focus too

Les

Welcome Aaron, I agree with the above also.

If you can, purchase a cheap flash gun (TT560 speedlite) about £30 from amazon/ebay. You can bounce the light off the ceiling and get much better lighting onto the subjects. If you do get a flash gun, get some good rechargeable batteries and charger.

Another tip (closing your aperture means you need more light to get a better exposure) is that, if you can get all of your subjects in a straight line, i.e. the lady in the middle is in front of the others, so get them all lined up next to each other, then they will all be in focus, without the need to close your aperture (increase F stop value) and can get away with F4 from your kit lens.

Hope thats of some use too. :) Keep on taking photos :)

Think about light first. Where is it coming from? Where can I get the best light if I'm stuck with the popup? Is there a big window I can stand in front of a bathe them in light?

Hi all again thanks for the response, I will definitely think more about the light next time round, thanks for the recommendation of the tt560 speedlight Carlh I've also being considering the Yongnuo yn-560mk3 but unsure of which one to go for also I quite like the look of the small softbox you can get for them as I thought of getting a couple and using them wireless. Any opinions?

Back