My Fungi Thread (New Photos Updated 22/10/14)

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Instead of creating multiple threads I shall make additions to this thread instead.

My Fungi Hunt was very successful yesterday and I found lots of types, I shot with both Flash and ambient and mix of them both. Though If I get some time I will spend a little more time with the available light as there is some great stuff on show in this section. Fungixpert needed (@Lez325)

Full set on Flickr (70 Images)

1. Daffy Duck Fungi

IMG_6368
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. Purple Beauty

IMG_6354
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3. Spike

IMG_6348
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. Fly Agaric

Fly Agaric-Amanita muscaria-6344-06
by bthomas124, on Flickr

5. Loved the leathery side

Fly Agaric-Amanita muscaria-6367-11
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_6363
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_6316
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_6319
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Bryn, I can't possibly comment on all of these individually, but what I can say in general though IMO they are an "Excellent" set of images.(y)

George.

15, 25 & 28 are the ones i`d pick as the winners.
What a great find and soooo many, what a great day you had.

Bryn, I can't possibly comment on all of these individually, but what I can say in general though IMO they are an "Excellent" set of images.(y)
George.

What do you mean you can't comment on each individually? There is only a few lmao

Thanks for the kind comment George any suggestions on improvements?

I like them, my only crit would a bit of cleaning around some of them, a few have small twigs and bramble on them. cleaning before you photograph.;)

This is kinda on purpose, I nearly wrecked a toadstool after trying to clear it and a leaf was actually attached, also wanted to show how they look when you find them eg not easily as so well hidden. But also wanted to show some that I did clean up. Thanks for your comment Poach always appreciated

15, 25 & 28 are the ones i`d pick as the winners.
What a great find and soooo many, what a great day you had.

Thanks Graham it was a great day can't believe we found so many.

Photograph as found not poshed up for the camera....imo, if you want the perfect photo then just rip it up, take it to your studio and spend time with your lights, reflectors, soft wotsits etc......again just my opinion

Oh and the pics are good ! Now b***er off back to your creepy crawlies.

O.K just for you Bryn I'll comment on every shot. "Excellent" X 30". Hows that.:D :D

George.

All of the shots are perfectly exposed with great diffusion and correct depth of field, it is hard to pick fault with them. Perhaps a few of the shots lack a bit of atmosphere because they have been so well executed. That bit of err jenesqua.
Number 2 and 5 certainly have it. They are two sexy looking mushrooms.

Photograph as found not poshed up for the camera....imo, if you want the perfect photo then just rip it up, take it to your studio and spend time with your lights, reflectors, soft wotsits etc......again just my opinion

Oh and the pics are good ! Now b***er off back to your creepy crawlies.

Sorry mate out again tomorrow though am after some creepy crawlies lol

What a variety, been keeping my eyes peeled for three or four weeks now and barely seen anything

They are really hard to spot but like bugs when you get your eye in you will see lots... look at dead logs on the floor, edge of paths near pine trees. Some like shade some like dark areas some like sun light.

O.K just for you Bryn I'll comment on every shot. "Excellent" X 30". Hows that.:D :D

George.

Lmao thanks.

All of the shots are perfectly exposed with great diffusion and correct depth of field, it is hard to pick fault with them. Perhaps a few of the shots lack a bit of atmosphere because they have been so well executed. That bit of err jenesqua.
Number 2 and 5 certainly have it. They are two sexy looking mushrooms.

Thanks wouldn't say they are perfect, I do like to try and get as much right in camera as possible (not always possible), #2 was my personal favourite as it was such a deep purple compared to the others.

Excellent work Bryn. Amazing variety! Light on the subject is spot on, although the first suffers from fall off, and I bet you could have upped the iso a bit for that one.

What was the lens of choice? I might try and go down to the valley this weekend, and I think I'll try a longer focal length with an extension tube (similar to dragonfly weapon of choice).

Very nice shots Bryn ....I really like the Fly Agaric (I really must find one) but my dream find would be number 25 ...I love the fairytale aspect of it. Altogether a great selection :clap:

Thanks Suzie found some Smurf houses too.

Enough already....

:D:p:whistle:

Excellent series, well done!

Paul.

I know I know check out flickr lmao

Excellent work Bryn. Amazing variety! Light on the subject is spot on, although the first suffers from fall off, and I bet you could have upped the iso a bit for that one.

What was the lens of choice? I might try and go down to the valley this weekend, and I think I'll try a longer focal length with an extension tube (similar to dragonfly weapon of choice).

Thanks mate, first one was end of the day so not sure one stop ISO would have been enough.

I used my Tammy and 1.4X TC so 126 mm I would recommend that or higher mm as you can compress background more.

But if you want globbies on them you'll need your MPE ;)

Out again tomorrow where Dragons have been spotted too so fingers crossed get a nice variety. Annoying as I'm going to need all my kit and it's not a short walk lol

Last edited:
Update 22/10/14

Some from Ashridge Estate

Ashridge Nature-6448-19
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ashridge Nature-6477-39
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ashridge Nature-6494-48
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ashridge Nature-6420-04
by bthomas124, on Flickr

5. Slimy

Ashridge Nature-6473-36
by bthomas124, on Flickr

6. Very very tiny Fungi

Ashridge Nature-6464-29
by bthomas124, on Flickr

7. Couldn't not include a bug

Ashridge Nature-6504-52
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ashridge Nature-6416-01
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Wow, how could you find so many different types of mushrooms Byrn? They all look great and now I am jealous:p

No.2,5,13,27 and 6,9 from today are my favorite!!!

Great found and great shoots:plus1:

Last edited:
Bryn, These are absolutely "Excellent" and so many different types.(y)

George.

Wow, how could you find so many different types of mushrooms Byrn? They all look great and now I am jealous:p

No.2,5,13,27 and 6,9 from today are my favorite!!!

Great found and great shoots:plus1:

A bit of luck and hard looking also on first set had another set of eyes helping me.

Nice set I like them, I tried a couple today.

Thanks and I saw your effort very nice mate.

Bryn, These are absolutely "Excellent" and so many different types.(y)

George.

Thanks George I have been real lucky with the finds so many different species.

@Lez325 Les Les come out from wherever you are I need some ID's lol

Fungixpert required.

far too many to ID - is there any one particular you need the ID on

I did notice a very sort after Edible Shroom in No2 it an Amethyst Deceiver, a very nice cooking Mushroom

nice set all be a large set No 25 are Angels Bonnet, my all time fave so delicate

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
far too many to ID - is there any one particular you need the ID on

I did notice a very sort after Edible Shroom in No2 it an Amethyst Deceiver, a very nice cooking Mushroom

nice set all be a large set No 25 are Angels Bonnet, my all time fave so delicate

Les ;)

Cheers Les I will ID as many as I can then ask you more specifically.

Back