My heart beats strongly for surrealistic photography but I don't know how to start? :c

fatimaa

Name
Fatima
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a nikon d3200 and I'm only a beginner. I know very little about photoshop but I'm willing to learn everything. So can someone please guide me? c:

Stop!

Photoshop has sod all to do with it.

You want to create surreal images? Why not study surrealism as an art form and understand what it's about first? How can you crate surreal images if you don't understand surrealism? If you know all about it already, then forgive me, but I doubt you'd be asking this question if you did.

Look at surrealist art, and understand it. What's it for? Why did people start doing it? Without this knowledge, how do you even know if what you're doing is surrealist? What makes you think you need photoshop? You're a photographer, and many photographers have created surrealist work without Photoshop.

This is a surrealist film by Salvador Dali and Luis Bunuel.

What's it all about about... why has it been so well studied and talked about... why has it been appropriated by contemporary artists?

youtube has thousands of tutorials for photoshop, good place to start...

Which will do nothing to help her understand surrealism. It will just help her **** her images up in so many different ways... which may, or may not be surrealist.

Last edited:
If you have set it to take jpg files, then the camera will be processing its output as its programmed brain sees fit. If you open such a file in Pshop, then the baseline might be to check out tonal range and distribution using the curves and levels dialogues. But really, the first step is to lern to see how light falls on things and how they receive it, and understand how the camera meters the exposure for what it's pointing at, and learn when you need to intervene and alter its settings. Then its your vision from there on.

Look at layers, masks, blending, filters ...

Last edited:
**** photoshop. Read some stuff on surrealism.

Please read the title of her post.

Welcome BTW Fatima.

Learn the technical sides of photography and digital manipulation as one, separate thing... but if you're interested in surrealism, then study that as a wholly separate thing which you can apply your photographic skills towards.

Last edited:
Thankyou for such lovely advice.
Photoshop gives you a lot of options that allow you to be more creative though. And I'll read up more on surrealism.

Photoshop gives you a lot of options that allow you to be more creative though.

Creativity happens in the mind. Applying effects to an image is not creative... applying effects to an image to achieve a preconceived idea (or to develop ideas the images give you) however, can be.

Don't fall into the beginner's trap of thinking the answer is photoshop. It's not. It can help you make shiny things.... but then again, anyone can do that. It doesn't mean your images are creative. If you're a beginner, then forget photoshop for a while, and learn photography instead.

Back