My hometown - Derry

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys.

This is probably the best of a mediocre bunch I got tonight. It's the first time I've really tried this but I'm not overly pleased with the results, I think it's just ok.

Does anyone have any advice on what could be improved? I probably should have framed it better for a start, including less of the trees in the foreground and more of the sky in the background, even though there is no detail in either of them it would probably look better aesthetically. Another thing that's irritating me is that starburst effect from a few of the larger lights. I always seem to get this problem when using narrow apertures...

9715138284_67aeefc47e_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gary, it's not a really a bad shot, I've seen (and taken) much worse. The star burst is due to the aperture used, try different ones to see which has the least effect. As for making it look better overall, try shooting a bit earlier, in twilight, so there is some colour in the sky which will give it more interest and depth. i would crop out the whole of the bottom of the frame and loose the big section of black.

Thanks for taking time to reply Russ.

Yeah I know it's not a bad shot, it's just not brilliant either :p I'll take your advice onboard

I agree a crop off the bottom would work, you will almost always get a starburst effect using a small aperture, thats just the way it is :LOL:

Les (y)

Why wouldn't you want a star burst?

It's a great image in there, crop a lot of the black sky out abs go letterbox

Agree. I like the star burst effect and go for it all the time with a small aperture. :thinking:

That's all for your opinions.

Don't know what it is about that starburst effect with narrow apertures, I just don't like them. They're not actually as bad in this photo as in others, but there's just something too un-natural looking about them for me.

Back